Watchtower tags to stop alerting

Options
socceric
socceric
Community Member

The use of 2FA tag to stop alerting is great! Are there equivalent tasks for vulnerable and the rest lists in Watchtower?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• socceric
    socceric
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben thanks. Can you ask the team to consider introducing equivalent tags for the rest?

• Ben
    Options

@socceric

The idea has been considered and rejected. I'm sorry I don't have the answer you were hoping for.

Ben

• socceric
    socceric
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben why has this been rejected? For transparency, please elaborate on the decision. I will give you a use case and why it should be implemented. Ideally, the watchtower should have 0 pending alerts. So once there is a new alert user will be able to quickly identify and rectify. At the moment that is very difficult as there are a number of alerts that cannot be dealt with for various reasons. Perhaps the most frequent reason is the user cannot change the password because e.g. no longer have access, or password was given. Also, there could be a valid reason to keep the existing password. Ultimately the Watchtower should work as an alerting service, as long as the user is aware of the alert and choose to hide the alert they should be given the functionality to do so. As it stands it is very risky to miss new alerts! Please help to improve this major Watchtower shortcoming.

• Ben
    Options

It isn't that we aren't interested in further improving Watchtower, but the tags are and always have been a hack, and many on the team regret the two we did implement. It was done as a stopgap measure, and not good solution to the underlying problem. They're using a system that was never designed for that purpose (tags) instead of something purpose-built. Going forward any solutions will focus on a more robust system.

Ben

• socceric
    socceric
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben ok, right now I have a bunch of passwords that I cannot change as it outside of my control nor can remove them from Watchtower alerts. This has the major implication of missing new alerts on time. Please provide a solution!

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for sharing @socceric. We are aware that at the moment there is no way to exclude items you're unable to change from Watchtower, and that can cause 'notification fatigue'. We would like to find a sensible way to address that.

Ben

• socceric
    socceric
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Ben for confirming you are aware of the issue and a solution will be implemented for this. Looking forward to it! Please keep me posted and also provide the issue id.

• Ben
    Options

and a solution will be implemented

To be clear: I'm not promising that. As I think you've probably seen around the forum we don't make those sorts of promises about future changes.

Please keep me posted and also provide the issue id

This is covered by a few different issues, but the primary one is apple-2451.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.