Please help on below.... master password related....

Options
SamKay
SamKay
Community Member

Hello Ben and Team: could you respond on below. Pls Do not close this discussion without answering. I did not email you below Questions. Asking you here only ...

1) can I not have my own passphrase with 6 words (25 letters)?
2) do you still suggest to use your password generator with words recipe like 3-4 words over pass phrase?
3) what’s the maximum length allowed for a master password
4) what’s the guarantee your password generator passwords are not hacked ?
5) why should we change master password and how frequently?
6) so every time we change a master password, need to take a print if emergency kit and update master password and put in a locket. Does it make sense? What is this unnecessary work for users?
7) I enabled 2 factor verification using Authenticator but on iPhone it’s not asking me to enter a code why? Just with Touch ID was able to open 1pw iPhone app.
8) on browser or Mobile app , instead of typing manually manual password is there a way I can save and auto fill it?
9) how frequently I should change secret key and why should I change it ?
10) I have 2 iPhones, I use same Apple ID to sign in on both. 1password data is not syncing between both devices. Why ??

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @SamKay

1) can I not have my own passphrase with 6 words (25 letters)?

You can, yes.

2) do you still suggest to use your password generator with words recipe like 3-4 words over pass phrase?

We recommend using words based password for passwords you expect to have to type or give over the phone. Otherwise character based passwords are more likely to be accepted by the majority of services.

3) what’s the maximum length allowed for a master password

10 characters is the minimum. I don't believe there is a specified maximum, though obviously at some point you reach a threshold of what is practical to type.

4) what’s the guarantee your password generator passwords are not hacked ?

There isn't one. If you choose a low character amount without much randomness (e.g. 6 character password without symbols or numbers) then there is an extremely high chance that password already is or will be compromised. To avoid this we recommend using long passwords.

5) why should we change master password and how frequently?

Unless you've chosen a weak password, or you believe your password may have been compromised, we do not recommend changing it. Pick a strong one, memorize it, and then don't change it. :)

6) so every time we change a master password, need to take a print if emergency kit and update master password and put in a locket. Does it make sense? > What is this unnecessary work for users?

The Master Password is not a required field on the Emergency Kit. It is also not required that you have an Emergency Kit at all. It is a tool that is available to you should you choose to use it, and you may fill in your Master Password if you wish. I personally recommend having a printed copy, but whether it is appropriate for you is entirely based on your circumstances and is at your discretion.

7) I enabled 2 factor verification using Authenticator but on iPhone it’s not asking me to enter a code why? Just with Touch ID was able to open 1pw iPhone app.

2FA works differently, and serves a different purpose, for 1Password accounts than other 2FA you're used to. Because 1Password's security is primarily based on encryption rather than authentication, two factor authentication is only used to protect the device authorization process. Once you've authorized a device, unless it becomes deauthorized, 2FA will not be required again on that device.

8) on browser or Mobile app , instead of typing manually manual password is there a way I can save and auto fill it?

I'm not entirely sure I understand what you're asking so if I don't answer your question please feel free to clarify. We do support the iOS autofill system, and have integration with it, such that you can fill your passwords from 1Password for iOS into websites and mobile apps that have added autofill support. You can read more about that here:

Use 1Password to fill and save on your iPhone and iPad

If you're asking about using autofill to fill your Master Password into 1Password then no, that isn't something we'd support or recommend.

9) how frequently I should change secret key and why should I change it ?

We would not recommend changing your Secret Key unless you suspect it to be compromised or if you lose one of your devices containing it.

10) I have 2 iPhones, I use same Apple ID to sign in on both. 1password data is not syncing between both devices. Why ??

You would need to sign into the same 1Password membership account on both in order to have them sync. Additional details can be found here:

Get the 1Password apps

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

You're very welcome. Glad to hear those answers were helpful. :) Have a great day, and if there is anything further please don't hesitate to contact us (in one spot, please ;)).

Ben

This discussion has been closed.