1PW 7 browser dropdown view vs V6 view

Sorry late to the party... did a search far back, but just didnt see anything addressing my question.

In V6, the dropdown shortcuts in FF (and other browsers) was nice and tidy -- I could look at a dozen logins in a nice list, choose and go.

Now with V7, its a huge 2 column thing, where i can only see a few logins at a time, plus a second column with all the details. Too much info as a "shortcut".

Perhaps Im missing something in preferences, I run thru a bunch, but it didnt seem to make a difference.

Im assuming you know what these look like, happy to send screen shots....

No problem with the cost of V7, and no problem with subscriptions, happy to pay. =)

thanks.

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: 6.8.9
OS Version: 10.15
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• stumpremoval
    stumpremoval
    Community Member

Sorry late to the party... did a search far back, but just didnt see anything addressing my question.

In V6, the dropdown shortcuts in FF (and other browsers) was nice and tidy -- I could look at a dozen logins in a nice list, choose and go.

Now with V7, its a huge 2 column thing, where i can only see a few logins at a time, plus a second column with all the details. Too much info as a "shortcut".

Perhaps Im missing something in preferences, I run thru a bunch, but it didnt seem to make a difference.

No problem with the cost of V7, and no problem with subscriptions, . =)

• stumpremoval
    stumpremoval
    Community Member

No problem with the cost of V7, and no problem with subscriptions, happy to pay. =)

thanks.

1Password Version: 6
    Extension Version: 6.8.9
    OS Version: 10.15
    Sync Type: dropbox

• stumpremoval
    stumpremoval
    Community Member

No problem with the cost of V7, and no problem with subscriptions, . =)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @stumpremoval! Welcome to the forum!

There is not preference setting to bring the 1Password mini menu back to the way it looked on 1Password 6 I am afraid, sorry!

• stumpremoval
    stumpremoval
    Community Member

Great, thanks for the prompt reply. It looks like I'm staying at 1 PW V6 then. Love it. Like many others, I access it dozens (more?) times a day. 20 main clients with 4 different areas to log in on a regular basis -- 1PW is a HUGE time saver. Nothing saves more. :)

There is no way in any world that new (but not improved?) V7 mini menu can beat V6.

22 logins in one small window, click and go... ultimate in PW productivity. Half dozen in a huge window with the second column of useless info... is useless. =( maybe have 2 versions? 'classic' vs new?.... !!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@stumpremoval:

Thank you for the kind words :) The new mini is more powerful than the old one (for example, you can now easily edit items directly within it, instead of using the main 1Password desktop app; or you can copy and paste information from your items much quicker than before, thanks to the double column layout), but we understand that the change might not appeal to everyone, especially if you are used to how the old mini looked like.

In your specific case, it looks like your 1Password usage revolves around 1Password mini completely, so I understand where you are coming from. I personally don't use 1Password that way (instead, I visit the website I want to login to, and I call the 1Password extension with the Cmd+\ keyboard extension, so I almost never see the extension window).

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

In addition to what Ana wrote, I just wanted to add that you can resize mini to be as big as your entire screen if you'd like, which would reveal many more logins in the left side list. Mini will remain in that size so you don't have to resize it every time.

The new mini has a lot of features that makes it a much more powerful tool, especially if you have lots of logins for the same website, such as the ability to sort via favorites, search for tags, drag and drop credentials from mini to a website/app using your mouse and much more. :chuffed:

Overall, this is a matter of habit, and I too don't like change that much so I can certainly relate to your feedback here, but I assure you that within a few days time you won't be able to look back if you'll give it a chance.

• stumpremoval
    stumpremoval
    Community Member
    edited April 2020

thanks again both of your for the responses. Sadly, there's just no moving forward to V7 for me. All that productivity and time Im saving in V6 would disappear in v7

Im sure the new features are incredible, and having the ability to resize it larger is something I could have tried more... but the physical space the new double column layout uses, plus the large icons overwhelm my screen. Larger isnt better.

Perhaps the keyboard shortcut method is great for individual sites login, but having 44 different to the same web site, say all of my bluehost logins, makes this cumbersome at best.

Making "mini" a more powerful tool should be the job of 1PW itself, hence the name "mini".

Regardless, this all is a moot point, as it seems there is no going back. Ive have done some further reading in the forums from when V7 was released, and it its "my way or the highway" for this feature thats been "improved".

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@stumpremoval:

Indeed, I don't think the new mini will go back to the way it was before. Sorry to hear you don't like it.

• stumpremoval
    stumpremoval
    Community Member

Its not about "liking". Its about functionality. Very different things.

I like the application (love it even, hours and hours of time saving...) but that's not the issue.

Again, thank you both for your excellent customer service, and for taking the time to respond to my inquiry with well thought out and detailed answers.

You have a loyal 1PW 6 user for life (or until some OS breaks it) :)

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for all the info and feedback @stumpremoval .

Indeed, we don't think this is going to change anytime soon, and I am certain this is just a matter of habit (and old habits die hard, as you can see from old forum posts when 1Password 7 was first introduced), and I do feel you here since I am the same, but I do hope that someday you'll wake up with the mood to try things out properly and thoroughly with 1Password 7 and give it a chance for a week or two.

In any case, I wish you all the best and that 1Password 6 will keep working for many years to come :chuffed:

• america
    america
    Community Member

I am very familiar with and a daily user of 1PW6. As per my limited experience with 1PW7 and this thread it appears the simple list in 1PW6 that drops down when clicking on the mini app icon or the 1PW browser icon is no longer available. It appears that now the user must select ‘AutoFill’ (that frequently does not work). Is this correct?

1PW7 appears to be a dud in comparison to 1PW6. I hope I am incorrect about the extra inconvenience when using the mini app icon or the browser icon in version 7. Perhaps I am overlooking a preference setting?

What happened to the handy lock icon that was in the upper right corner of previous versions of 1PW?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@america:

It appears that now the user must select ‘AutoFill’ (that frequently does not work). Is this correct?

You can also double click on a Login entry in the list, if you prefer. The only difference with the old mini is that you could click once, since it had only one column ;)

• america
    america
    Community Member

I'm baffled as to why a software developer would take a step backwards. It's sort of like replacing the round wheels on a car with square wheels.

Thank you for your reply.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@america:

I think these things can also be subjective. Also, if you have been using something for long enough that you have gotten used to it, I think it's normal not to like something new right away. The new 1Password mini in 1Password 7 is much more powerful than the previous mini, so I think it will stay that way instead of going back and removing the additional features.

Sorry to hear you don't like it though, but thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us! It's really appreciated :)

This discussion has been closed.