Bug report: menubar icon and keyboard shortcut don't work when viewing a local file in Chrome

Options
russelldavis
russelldavis
Community Member

Open any local file in chrome. The way I did it, from a terminal: touch foo.html && open foo.html.

Then, click the 1Password icon in the menubar. Nothing happens. Same problem if I press the keyboard shortcut for "Show 1Password".

To be clear, it's not that I want to login or do anything at all on the local page. I just want to quickly pull up 1Password mini to look something up, and I happen to be on this page.

1Password Version: 7.5
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: macOS 10.14.6
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @russelldavis

Thanks for taking the time to write in. We intentionally limited 1Password from opening with file:// links as we don't fill on them. I understand what you're saying about pulling up mini, but mini is context based: it evaluates which page you're on and acts accordingly. With file:// links we don't get any context, and so the request is ignored. You can work around this by changing the focus, e.g. by clicking on another window, and then opening mini. That would be the best I could suggest for this. I hope that helps!

Ben

• russelldavis
    russelldavis
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply. I get that 1P doesn't get any context in that case, but it doesn't make sense to me that it should therefore ignore the request. If I click the icon on a blank tab, it still opens, and there's no context there either. Or on a URL where there are no matching logins to fill, it still opens so I can take other actions. Or when a non-browser app is focused (hence no browser context). Etc.

I don't think most users are going to understand why clicking the menubar icon simply does nothing in certain cases, when many uses for it are completely independent of the app/tab that is currently active.

Putting it another way -- what's the downside to opening mini anyway in such a case?

• Ben
    Options

@russelldavis

Thanks for sharing your perspective on this. I don't disagree. Perhaps in a future revision of the extension we can re-evaluate this. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.