To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

What is the difference between a subscription and a membership? Are the the same thing?

Options
Golfman
Golfman
Community Member

I'm interested in a family subscription. When you subscribe do you become a member or is membership an additional level of features? My desire is to back up my vault to iCloud as I do now with my 1Password version 6 licensed copy. Does membership require backing up to the 1Password servers?

1Password Version: 6.8.8 from App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.15.5
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:What is the difference between a subscription and a membership? Are the the same thing?

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Golfman

I'd be happy to help clear that up.

What is the difference between a subscription and a membership? Are the the same thing?

A subscription is how you pay for a membership.

I'm interested in a family subscription. When you subscribe do you become a member or is membership an additional level of features?

When you subscribe you become a member: correct.

My desire is to back up my vault to iCloud as I do now with my 1Password version 6 licensed copy. Does membership require backing up to the 1Password servers?

Yes it does. 1Password membership replaces iCloud with regard to your 1Password data. The security properties don't change, though. 1Password has never relied on the chosen sync method for the security of your data. Instead 1Password relies on the client apps to encrypt your data using your Master Password before it syncs. This way the data is "end-to-end" encrypted, with the only end points being your devices. Because we never know your Master Password, we cannot decrypt your data, even when it is stored on our servers.

Ben

• Golfman
    Golfman
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Ben for clarifying and the speedy response.

• Ben
    Options

You're very welcome. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.