Problems with update

This discussion was created from comments split from: Latest update problems about and nagware screen.

Comments

• Ravencrasy
    Ravencrasy
    Community Member

I got an App Store update notification. Update fails every time. Downloaded from website & Safari extension doesn’t work.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Ravencrasy! Welcome to the forum!

Update fails every time.

Does it fail with an error message? If so, what does the error message say?

• Ravencrasy
    Ravencrasy
    Community Member

The update from the App Store App would warn to close 1Password with a Continue button. I hit continue and it fails. I then tried to close 1Password before updating and get the same notice with the Continue button and it still failed. I downloaded and installed from the website. The app works, the Mini works, Safari extensions do no.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Ravencrasy:

Thank you for the additional information! 1Password mini is probably still running in your menu bar if you see that message. Can you please try quitting 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely), and see if you can continue with the update? That is, if you want to continue using the Mac App Store version of the app.

If you downloaded the app from our website instead, and would like to continue using that one, we can just focus on the extension instead.

The app works, the Mini works, Safari extensions do no.

Can you elaborate? What do you mean when you say that your extensions do not work? Are they not filling information on web pages? Or can you not even open them? Or perhaps you don't even see them in your browser?

Also, you mentioned "extensions", plural: do you use more than one?

• Ravencrasy
    Ravencrasy
    Community Member

Sorry "extension" iPassword is checked in my Safari Preferences. The icon is on my toolbar. I click it and nothing happens. Does it make a difference that I have a Family subscription and updated from your website?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Ravencrasy:

Does it make a difference that I have a Family subscription and updated from your website?

No, that is fine. I think the extension issue is separate. Before trying something more in depth, do you mind trying to relaunch 1Password with the instructions I posted above? Often, when you have an issue with an extension, that is enough to get things working again. Here is the suggestion again for your convenience:

Can you please try quitting 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely), and then relaunch 1Password?

• Ravencrasy
    Ravencrasy
    Community Member

That Worked!! And I learned something - how to quit completely - Thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @Ravencrasy! I am glad I could help :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• TripleF
    TripleF
    Community Member

Hmm . . . Nov 21, 2020 1Password update won't download. I tried to completely quit 1Password per instruction above but the app still won't download. I'm running MacBook Pro with MacOS Big Sur 11.0.1

• TripleF
    TripleF
    Community Member

Rebooting solved my problem! Sorry.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

No worries @TripleF, and thank you for the update! I am glad to hear that a reboot helped :)

• fjr
    fjr
    Community Member
    edited November 2020

Password Update on MacBook Pro with Big Sur 11.0.1 won't Download. I tried to completely quit 1Password and rebooted the Computer, nothing worked. It's the AppStore Version of 1Password.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@fjr:

What version of 1Password are you currently using before the update?

• fjr
    fjr
    Community Member
    edited November 2020

I'm using Version 7.6 (70600006)

• philswallow
    philswallow
    Community Member
    edited November 2020

I have same problem downloading the 7.7 update from App Store on Big Sur 11.0.1 I'm on 7.6. It appears to be downloading it (the blue circle nearly completes) then I get a popup "Unable to Download App" “1Password 7” could not be installed. Please try again later." I quit 1Password completely in the Mini.

The update worked in my MacBook Pro same OS/version setup, but not in my iMac.

I have tried the Trouble shooting tool 'Reset Launch Services" to no avail.

• philswallow
    philswallow
    Community Member

Update: I reset the SMC and then the update happened okay. All working now.

• sumocomputers
    sumocomputers
    Community Member
    edited November 2020

Same experience as the last couple of posts. Did "Quit 1Password Completely", doesn't work. Rebooted, doesn't work. Did both, still doesn't work. Also checked activity monitor to make sure nothing like a Safari extension was running.

macOS 11.0.1
    1Password 7.6

And no, I am not going to reset my SMC...

• fjr
    fjr
    Community Member

After an SMC Reset and a total shutdown of 1Password after the reboot, the update could finally installed.

• sumocomputers
    sumocomputers
    Community Member
    edited November 2020

I went ahead and did an SMC reset and it worked. I am not sure I understand why though...seems drastic to get an app to install.

• jimlongo
    jimlongo
    Community Member
    edited November 2020

2018 Mac mini currently running Big Sur

1Password 7
    Version 7.6 (70600006)
    Mac App Store

Reboot. Quit 1Password, force quit helper app. 1pmini is not running. Quit all browsers.

Click the update in App Store.
    If you look at Launchpad. There is a 37.6 MB install that succeeds and then an error message.

===
    RESET SMC
    Check that 1Password or any helpers are running.

Click update.

Followed after a minute by this notification.

===
    Now if I try install i'm back to the scenario described first.

====
    3rd times the charm, finally got the update to complete.

• rjb_CANP
    rjb_CANP
    Community Member

Unable to update. Update will not complete, says UNABLE TO DOWNLOAD APP. How do I complete the update?

1Password Version: 1Password7
    Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
    OS Version: OS X 11.0.1
    Sync Type: 1Password7
    Referrer: forum-search:I am unable to install the most recent 1Password7 update on my Mac OS Big Sur

• jemane
    jemane
    Community Member

Will not update. Gets 99% of the way there and goes back to "update". I am running Catalina 10.15.7 (my company has not yet let us install the latest IOS). I don't get any dialogue boxes, just back to update. I have quit 1Password and rebooted.

• jemane
    jemane
    Community Member

I did more digging and found how to completely quit (control option command q) and that did it.

• hallsofmontezuma
    hallsofmontezuma
    Community Member

Resetting the SMC worked for me.

• dominicusb
    dominicusb
    Community Member

OK, for someone trying to update the app and it fails every time even after reboot, do the following:

• Shut down the computer and wait for 30sec.
    • Start the computer and login. Wait for it to load everything. DON'T start the update from the App Store yet!!!!
    • Quit 1password via instructions above (right click the icon in the dock and choose quit 1password completely
    • Now open the App Store app and start the update

If you start the update even one time before quitting the app completely it's stuck in the same loop as mentioned above

My two cents,

Dominicus

• Hi folks,

Thank you for sharing this information with us. It appears there may be a problem where the update process for 1Password through the App Store is not completely quitting 1Password first. It is unclear at this point why that would be. We are investigating to see if there are improvements we can make on our end to help this situation. In the meantime, our recommendation is to install 1Password using these instructions:

1. Quit Safari
    2. Open and then quit 1Password completely — ⌘⌥⌃Q (Command Option Control Q)
    3. Drag 1Password to the Trash, but DO NOT use a "cleaner" app to remove 1Password if you have one (MacKeeper, CleanMyMac, AppZapper, etc)
    4. Empty the Trash
    5. Restart your Mac
    6. Install 1Password from our website: Download for Mac
    7. Open 1Password
    8. Make sure the extension is shown and enabled in Safari under Preferences > Extensions (do not click "More Extensions")
    9. Verify that you're able to use the extension to fill logins

Alternatively, it sounds like the steps other customers have posted above have been helpful. If you're intent on installing from the App Store, you may wish to try that. We hope to have more to say soon.

Ben

• sumocomputers
    sumocomputers
    Community Member

I’d like to add that I’ve had problems with the App Store version completely quitting for years when trying to install and let it do the quitting for me.

I’ve always had to Completely quit 1Password as well as make sure the Safari extension is also force quit. It’s really a pain, and hoping the improvements you make to this allow App Store updates to update without the current friction.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for sharing your experience with us @sumocomputers, and for sharing what worked for you. This should not happen with the 1Password version from our website in my experience, in case you would like to switch to that one while we investigate the Mac App Store version.

• luckyday
    luckyday
    Community Member

Neither of the above solutions worked for me. When I deleted the app store version of 1Password 7 as suggested above, the download from the website failed to install. However, I was subsequently able to install the latest version from the app store. So my suggestion is: drag 1Password into the trash and empty the trash > restart > install from app store.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@luckyday:

When I deleted the app store version of 1Password 7 as suggested above, the download from the website failed to install.

Do you remember the error message with which it failed? Since this discussion is about an error message coming from the Mac App Store version of 1Password, while you were seeing an error from the website download instead, it would be interesting to know.

This discussion has been closed.