Support for snap & flatpak [Snap is now available for 1Password 0.8.1, flatpak is WIP]

tunixtunix
edited August 7 in Linux Development Preview

Hi,

Congrats for the Linux app in the first place! Huge news for 1Password users like me. :) Really appreciated!

I'd like to use this opportunity to ask whether a snap/flatpak package is in the roadmap or not?

There are many advantages of using such packaging formats both from the developer & user perspectives. From the user's perspective, I don't have to go through the hassle of adding a repository, apps usually run in a sandbox and updates are automatic through subscribed channels. I think it'd be beneficial for 1Password as well since it's easier to push updates using channels (stable, beta, edge etc.) and it'll work on all Linux distributions.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS x86_64
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MitchMitch

Team Member

Hey @tunix,

Thanks for asking! Personally, I'm psyched about these newer package formats for the reasons you mentioned. I've started using flatpak to install apps whenever the option is available and agree that it would be a great fit for 1Password.

The biggest hurdles at this point are tooling and time; we probably need to spend a week or so learning about flatpak, how to package the app, and how to securely distribute and update it (e.g. whether to use Flathub).

I can't say when that week will fit into the roadmap, but flatpak is #1 on my wishlist of supported formats. We'll of course announce new packages on the forum as they become available.

• Hi @Mitch ,

Great to hear a team member's interest in this! :) I'm an Ubuntu user so hopefully you'll have a snap package as well. 🤞

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

We'll definitely be checking out the feasibility of that as well. :)

Ben

• What about support for other distros like arch ?

• @Domi You can use Flatpaks on Arch. Same with AppImages. Not someone who works at 1Password but just thought I’d chime in

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

We do offer an AppImage, which some of my colleagues use on Arch. :+1:

Ben

• SPYkeSPYke
    edited August 5

I'd like to see Snap support as well. And with latest/beta/dev channels.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Thanks @SPYke. :)

Ben

• Hi All,

Just wanted to let you guys know that I've created a snap package for 1Password and I got the initial draft working successfully on Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS :) I'll try to polish the last bits of it and will publish it on github. Will update here with details soon!

• MikeTMikeT Agile Samurai

Team Member
    edited August 5

Hi @tunix,

Thank you for letting us know.

Just so you'd know, we have the Linux app working on Ubuntu 18.0.4 LTS already and it'll be released later this week. We're working on snap and other packaging format as we speak but I don't know if that will happen or when it may. Just that 18.0.4 LTS support will be added for now.

• Hi @MikeT ,

Great! Thanks for letting me know. I look forward to trying it.

Team Member

:+1: One baby step at a time. :smile:

• tunixtunix
    edited August 6

The initial devmode snap can be found here for anyone interested: https://github.com/tunix/1password-snap

• dtearedteare Agile Founder

Team Member

Oh nice! Thank you kindly for sharing. 🤗 @Mitch will be interested in seeing this.

Team Member
    edited August 7

Hi guys,

We've shipped the support for snaps. Check it out in our 1Password 0.8.1 announcement post here: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/115109/1password-development-preview-0-8-1

• Reinstalled from a snap instead of a deb, thanks!

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

You are very welcome @SPYke! :)

• Woohoo! Thanks @MikeT ! 🎉

• rcorkrcork Junior Member
    edited August 8

Nice job on the snap. Looking forward to flatpak!

• tunixtunix
    edited August 10

A few issues with the snap:

• Tray icon not visible
    • Searching items inside the vault doesn't seem to work
  • Not sure how helpful it may be but I've been working on a flatpak manifest. It works well except the icon appears in the tray as 3 dots. It's probably an issue with a filename mismatch. I also don't know if the polkit policy works because my system doesn't have any supported authentication methods.

https://github.com/owendaprile/flatpaks/tree/master/src/com.onepassword.client

• MitchMitch

Team Member

@tunix: Thanks! Does the tray icon work in your own Snap? Perhaps we are missing a plug.

@owendaprile: Thank you, your example flatpak is quite helpful. I see you based it on .the Debian package. Is that typical for flatpaks? Perhaps we can do something similar with a simple tar archive.

• @Mitch I'm pretty sure just using tarballs is the most common but for other apps that don't have one (like Spotify) they use the .deb. I'm sure the people behind Flatpak/Flathub will help you with any issues if you contact them.

• @Mitch yes it does.

• MitchMitch

Team Member

Thanks @tunix, I've confirmed the missing tray icon and have a fix lined up for the next update.

I wasn't able to reproduce any issues with search. What happens when you search in the app?

• @Mitch - I've recorded a short video of what I see when I search. Where can I send it to? Btw this issue existed with my snap as well.

Basically I'm able to click on search bar but when I type nothing happens. I can't find what I'm looking for (although I see it inside the list) and it doesn't filter through the items.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@tunix

Please email it to [email protected] along with a link to this thread and then post the support ID you get back when you email in here. :)

Thanks!

Ben

• Hi @Ben ,

I've sent an email. This is the reference ID: [#RTS-16121-772]

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Thank you!

Ben

ref: RTS-16121-772

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji