Tray icon not visible on Linux Mint [Fixed in 1Password 0.8.2 and Xapps 1.8.9 updates]

rcorkrcork Junior Member
edited August 19 in Linux Development Preview

Loving 1Password for linux but on my installation of Linux Mint 20, the tray icon is not visible. I've tried setting the setting app.keepInTray = true but the icon still does not show. Mint used Cinnamon for the DM so i can't install the AppIndicator Gnome extension.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Linux Mint 20
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hey @rcork

We've primarily focused on GNOME for the tray icon so far, but I'd be happy to ask the team to look into Cinnamon. In the meantime could you please check this post from Stack Exchange and see if it makes a difference?

Ben

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

One of my colleagues added you may need to enable this setting as well:

Ben

• rcorkrcork Junior Member

In Linux Mint 20, that setting no longer appears in the General settings. I spun up a VM with Linux Mint 19.3 and that setting is present in 19.3. However, when i installed 1Password and then launched it, i received an error.

So i couldn't test whether that setting fixes the tray icon in LM 19.3.

• dtearedteare Agile Founder

Team Member

Good 'ol GLIBC 2.28. 🙂 We have a new release planned for tomorrow that lowers this requirement so you should be able to try things in Mint 19.3. Of course we should find a way to get the tray icon showing in Mint 20 as well but at least this will help us in this investigation.

Thanks for playing with this and sharing your results! 🤗

• MikeTMikeT Agile Samurai

Team Member

Hi @rcork,

Just a status update, I installed Mint 20 and was able to confirm the icon is not there. The screenshot you saw there is from a previous version of Cinnamon, the latest version (4.6) has a new way of showing icons. The odd thing is that it is supposed to support the same implementation that we're using in 1Password for Linux.

We'll keep investigating to see what's up.

Team Member

Hi @rcork,

I've figured it out, it's a known issue with Mint's xapp-status applet. Here's the Github issue you can follow: https://github.com/linuxmint/xapps/issues/98

I did try to downgrade the xapp packages and 1Password did show up in system tray as such here:

Nice find. Looks like there's a fix that is going through testing. Hopefully they push it out soon.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

Indeed :+1::)

• Since 0.8.2 the icon does show up.

Team Member

Hi guys,

A few updates; we did an Electron update where they've reverted back to an older tray implementation that was more stable, so it works on more platform this time including Mint. The issue related to XApps has also been fixed in the Xapps 1.8.9 update as well.

Thanks @MikeT . After Mint pushed Xapps 1.8.9 the icon started showing up but good to hear that you guys also moved back to a more stable version.

Team Member

You're welcome. (We didn't move back, it was a decision made by Electron to move back in their library, we've simply updated).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file