Debian Install Instructions

This is very exciting, been waiting a long time for this! I just went through the install instructions for Debian and found a few issues:

1. apt-add-repository is not installed by default on Debian. It can be found in the software-properties-common package but honestly since you provide the whole sources.list line anyway you might as just well echo the line into a file (see #2 for my recommended command)
  2. It is generally considered poor form these days to add new apt keys to the main truststore (see this). Instead, following the recommended instructions these days you would want install instructions like this:
sudo apt-key --keyring /usr/share/keyrings/1password.gpg adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 3FEF9748469ADBE15DA7CA80AC2D62742012EA22
echo 'deb [arch=amd64 signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/1password.gpg] https://onepassword.s3.amazonaws.com/linux/debian edge main' | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/1password.list
sudo apt update && sudo apt install 1password

Also, thank you SO much for offering native Debian packages! Please let me know if I can help further.

1Password Version: 0.8.0-22506
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Debian Buster
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• DanielPDanielP

Team Member
    edited August 7

@ssgelm:

I think you are absolutely right here. The approach you are suggesting is the Debian way of doing things :+1: I will open an internal discussion to look at this and will make sure to mention that I agree with you :)

===
    Daniel
    1Password Security Team

ref: dev/web/support.1password.com#2445

ref: dev/core/core#2407

• DanielPDanielP

Team Member

@ssgelm:

We have updated the installation instructions with a section specifically for Debian :+1:

Thank you for bringing this up!

===
    Daniel
    1Password Security Team

• @DanielP:

Very cool, thanks! FWIW I believe the same instructions should work on Ubuntu, though I have not confirmed.

• DanielPDanielP

Team Member

@ssgelm:

Indeed, they should behave the same over there too. For now I think we will keep things separate for clarity though, at least in the installation instructions. Or at least, add-apt-repository seems to be the standard way to do this in Ubuntu, while Debian specifically recommends this other approach, so from that perspective it might make sense to keep them separate.

===
    Daniel
    1Password Security Team

• Sure makes sense, different priorities between the distros. :smile:

• MikeTMikeT Agile Samurai

Team Member

Hi @ssgelm,

We've updated the instructions once more and it is now combined for both Ubuntu and Debian. https://support.1password.com/cs/getting-started-linux/#debian-or-ubuntu

• Great thanks for letting me know!

• DanielPDanielP

Team Member

As you can see, we really are agile @ssgelm :)

===
    Daniel
    1Password Security Team

• Well thank you for that! :) It is it to see this happen after all those years of requests.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

You are very welcome @mrdoodadle :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file