Have slow unreliable internet service thru hotspot. Have been using standalone 1Password6 on Mac

Need purchasing help. Have 1 Mac, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones that have been using 1Password6 standalone license. At home have internet thru a hotspot (nothing else is available) and usually have just 1 bar. Connection speed is supposed to be LTE but most often is 3G and sometimes 1X or no connection. Have very good connection at work. Have been syncing via Dropbox.

Am adding new Mac (OS 10.15.5). Don’t know if I should stay with standalone or not. Do not want to get in situation where I cannot access the information in the vault or where it will appear to hang the computer because of trying to access over a slow connection. Current setup works fine. Occasionally have had to look at 1 device for a password for use on another device if it has not been able to sync.

I do not store information in the cloud because of unreliability of the connection at home.

Any thoughts? Thanks

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.8.8 (688002) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: IOS 12.2., Mac OS 10.12.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

Hi @lmsteinmetz! Welcome to the forum!

Do not want to get in situation where I cannot access the information in the vault or where it will appear to hang the computer because of trying to access over a slow connection.

A copy of your data is stored locally even with a Membership, so you can use 1Password even when you are offline, no issue on that front ;)

Have been syncing via Dropbox.
    I do not store information in the cloud because of unreliability of the connection at home.

Can you please clarify this part? You say that you don't store information in the cloud, but you also say that you are using Dropbox to sync your data. So it seems like you are already using the cloud, can you please elaborate so we have all the information on your current configuration?

• I do use Dropbox to sync my devices for 1Password but I don’t store documents or photos on the cloud since I can’t always get to them.

If the membership version stores a copy locally, it sounds like it will work very similarly to the way I am currently working. If for some reason the membership method does not work, can I go back to stand alone? I realize I would have to get standalone licenses.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@lmsteinmetz:

If the membership version stores a copy locally, it sounds like it will work very similarly to the way I am currently working.

That's correct, with the additional advantage with a Membership that you can download a copy of the file locally if you wish.

If for some reason the membership method does not work, can I go back to stand alone? I realize I would have to get standalone licenses.

Yes, this is possible :+1:

• Thanks for your help. Have a great week.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

You are welcome @lmsteinmetz! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful week too :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file