Revisiting bookmarks

adam1991adam1991
edited August 8 in Lounge

I noticed this in my list of discussions:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/88081/off-the-reservation-here-xmarks-is-going-away

I have a work life and a home life, and I keep them separate. I also like to use the same browser for each, although in different user accounts and/or different computers. XMarks and its simple system helped me well through all that.

After XMarks went away, I went to using Firefox's simple mechanism for backing up/synchronizing bookmarks in the cloud. It really doesn't require much and is very unobtrusive.

But Firefox isn't all that great, so I went to Chrome. Chrome is happy to log you into your Google account and use that to synchronize your Chrome experience. Eh, OK. I do have Google accounts for each home and work, so that works.

Now I'm on Edge, and liking it. I do have a personal Microsoft account, so it's happily synchronizing my Edge experience across machines in that regard--all for my personal account. But I don't have a work Microsoft account. So now I'm back to "wow, I really liked XMarks..." because really, the biggest thing I care about is backing up and synchronizing bookmarks.

I would LOVE to have a browser-independent, OS-independent, big-tech-login-independent way to do that one thing: back up and synchronize bookmarks.

I DO use my 1P cloud account inside each of my home and work lives.

I would like to see an option in 1P to synchronize bookmarks and keep them in vaults, and let me apply a vault to a browser as needed. I have password vaults for home and work; man, always-synchronized bookmark vaults for home and work would be killer.

Just noodling here.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

Hi @adam1991!

Thank you for your thoughts on this :+1:

I would like to see an option in 1P to synchronize bookmarks and keep them in vaults, and let me apply a vault to a browser as needed.

Can you please elaborate on what you mean by "apply a vault to a browser" though? I am not sure I understand what you mean by that.

• sorry. I'm just thinking, I could have vaults of bookmarks just like I have vaults of passwords.

And I could use that mechanism to store "work related bookmarks" vs "home related bookmarks" vs any other set of bookmarks. Should I use any browser in any login on any machine, as long as my 1P is installed I can make that browser have any bookmark-related personality I want.

This would let me use Edge, for example, independent of a MS login but still have bookmark synchronizing capability and different personalities depending on where I use Edge. What I want to do now is to use Edge without a MS login, but have bookmark sync capabilities.

Example: Firefox. FF has sync capability. For simple bookmark sync, you can use an email address. That's it. So I can use FF on my personal Mac account and have my personal bookmarks, but I can user switch over to my work account and use FF that's using my work email address to sync bookmarks.

FF doesn't really care beyond the email address. Chrome does. Edge does. They're big-tech and want to own you. Absent a Google or MS account, there's no good way to back up and sync bookmarks. XMarks did a fantastic job of this; they even let you go to their site and see your bookmarks on a web page, no big-tech Google/MS/Amazon/Apple/Yahoo/etc. involved. AND XMarks was browser-independent.

Anyway, it would be nice to have a way to use Edge or Chrome without a MS or Google account, yet still have XMarks-like capabilities. Even better, if it were in 1P, I could use any web browser--and use 1P to do what XMarks did. "In this browser instance, always assign and sync this vault's bookmarks." I could use Chrome for some stuff, FF for some other stuff, Safari for some other stuff--and have a common set of bookmarks among them (or not!--my choice per browser).

And on demand, I could choose to replace one set of bookmarks with another set simply by telling 1P to do so. And 1P would then switch the bookmarks and the sync process to that set that's in that vault.

I can use different browsers and/or different machine accounts to dynamically share/sync/change bookmark sets. (Me, I use just personal and work bookmarks--but I do use multiple browsers and multiple machines/logins.)

Does that make sense?

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@adam1991:

Thank you for the clarification! 1Password is a password manager, so I don't think extending it to make it become a real bookmark manager is something we will focus on. After reading your posts however, I was wondering if you considered using a separate vault called Bookmarks, and populating it with Login items with just the website field filled in, without username and password?

If you want to avoid a separate vault, you could also use the bookmarks tag in these items:

• I'll look at that. Thanks.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

You are welcome @adam1991! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file