Is 1Password going to make iOS a paid app again once apple allows OSX to run iOS apps?

edited August 23 in Purchasing

I currently use 1Password6 standalone on OSX and the free version on iOS. I had wanted to share the old standalone version on windows 10 (v4) which I asked about here (https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/105444/attempt-to-sync-with-a-different-vault-than-originally-configured#latest), but that turned out to be a pain and I found a better solution that worked in my situation. I run barrier (https://github.com/debauchee/barrier/wiki) which means that my mac becomes an extension of my windows desktop and so I can just copy a password from my mac and paste it in windows.

I will never purchase a subscription or use a cloud. That means if I want to upgrade, my only choice will be the standalone copy. Could I get some clarification on how much it will cost for my family or 3? I found nothing that is both official and current, but from my research, I believe that there is no discount for other family members so I must pay 3 x Full Price per platform. Possibly the price is $50? So my cheapest option will be $150! Wow, that is painful and seems a lot for someone who will not use cloud services which is what the subscription really covers. Once I know the actual cost, I then need to pick a platform. With barrier, I could have 1 password on the mac or on the pc and the convenience would be the same. However if I get the Windows 10 version which will work with iOS, then once apple allows you to run an iOS app on OSX (https://techcrunch.com/2019/06/03/ios-apps-will-run-on-macos-with-project-catalyst/#:~:text=Apple announced during its WWDC,the Mac starting this fall.), then I would not need the OSX version as I could use the iOS version. So what are the 1Password plans to address this?

Also, I wanted to confirm that 1Password7 will continue to allow me to use WLAN.

Possibly I should create another ticker for this but lets say I purchased 1Password7 for Windows 10. I would then have the following.

1Password 7 Standalone on Windows 10 which will sync with 1Password7 on iOS
1Password 6 Standalone on OSX which will sync with 1Password7 on iOS.

Would I be able to keep all three in sync by syncing both Windows 10 and OSX with the iOS version?

1Password Version: 6 & 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows10, OSX, iOS
Sync Type: WLAN
Referrer: forum-search:osx running ios

Comments

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

Hi @Roger_Standalone!

Is 1Password going to make iOS a paid app again once apple allows OSX to run iOS apps?

1Password for iOS has been free for a while now, and all the advanced features are included in the subscription, so at the moment there are no plans to make the iOS app paid again.

I will never purchase a subscription or use a cloud. That means if I want to upgrade, my only choice will be the standalone copy. Could I get some clarification on how much it will cost for my family or 3?

1Password standalone licenses are sold per person, per platform. So it depends on whether every family member uses both Windows and Mac. A standalone license for version 7 costs $64.99.

I found nothing that is both official and current, but from my research, I believe that there is no discount for other family members so I must pay 3 x Full Price per platform.

That is correct. Pricing-wise, a subscription is a much better choice when you have multiple family members. But if you don't want a subscription, you can certainly purchase multiple licenses if you prefer.

However if I get the Windows 10 version which will work with iOS, then once apple allows you to run an iOS app on OSX (https://techcrunch.com/2019/06/03/ios-apps-will-run-on-macos-with-project-catalyst/#:~:text=Apple announced during its WWDC,the Mac starting this fall.), then I would not need the OSX version as I could use the iOS version. So what are the 1Password plans to address this?

Can you please clarify what we would need to address here? I am not sure I understand what you are asking.

Also, I wanted to confirm that 1Password7 will continue to allow me to use WLAN.

1Password 7 does not support WLAN sync anymore. Please see this post from our security team with more details.

Would I be able to keep all three in sync by syncing both Windows 10 and OSX with the iOS version?

Yes, but you would have to change your sync method.

• dancodanco Senior Member Community Moderator

Might I suggest that you buy a subscription but simply never use the cloud features. 1PW has always been among the more expensive programs, but a family sub would be much cheaper than any other method of buying.

You CAN use it in stand-alone mode if you want, though it is not as effective or easy as cloud use.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@danco:

Thank you for the suggestion! That would indeed work, although it would require a bit more configuration and would not be as easy as you say, but it's certainly an option :)

• edited August 30

Might I suggest that you buy a subscription but simply never use the cloud features. 1PW has always been among the more expensive programs, but a family sub would be much cheaper than any other method of buying.

You CAN use it in stand-alone mode if you want, though it is not as effective or easy as cloud use.

@danco - Thanks for the suggestion. Even if I did buy a subscription, I don't see that I can sync my devices since WLAN has been taken away. My understanding is that all choices require moving data off from the local network. How do you Sync with no cloud usage and no WLAN? It looks like the WLAN service debate is over now, but from my perspective, 1password cloud has a huge target on it for hackers and past security records do not guarantee future performance. Time is on the side of the hackers who need only one chance to get some vaults. Once files are external, they are much simpler to brute force. Even if they are secure by todays security standards, these same files may be easy to hack five years from now, if anyone keeps a copy. Thats why security standards change over time and keys have become longer.

It looks like my cheapest option to purchase 7 would be $194.97 which is equivalent to 40 weeks subscription. So I guess history shows a subscription is cheaper compared to buying every single version. I am not sure that I want every single version though. I already have more functionality that I really need. I don't expect future functionality to be anything I require so I expect that I can use every other release at most. And who knows what price changes are in store for the future. The standalone pricing shows that it is the tool of choice to guide consumers to use the most profitable products, not the most desired products. The subscribers don't own anything and have no choice but to keep up with rate increases to cover the costs of unwanted services.

@ag_ana - Thanks for the responses.

Can you please clarify what we would need to address here? I am not sure I understand what you are asking.

My assumption is that 1Password will have some plan to block a user from using 1Password iOS edition free on a Mac once a Mac is able to run iOS apps.

No, you're wrong. WLAN has not been taken away. As long as you keep (one or more) local vaults, which is an option in the Advanced section of Preferences, then WLAN can be used for those vaults. It's not the default option, but it is there. And, of course, AgileBits do not give any detailed support to WLAN, if there are problems you would have to solved them yourself. But that has been true for a long time.

If your figure for stand-alone purchase is correct, that would not be 40 weeks subscription but a sub for over three years. A family subscription costs $60 (plus tax) a year. I'm not sure how you reached your figures, but just look at the official pricing under the Personal and Families section (NOT the Teams and Business section) to see the correct figure. And more than likely in three year's time, changes in the OS will mean you need a new version anyway.

Of course, a subscription leaves you at the mercy of the company, and companies do change radically, but historically AgileBits has a good reputation for treating its customers fairly.

By the way, I doubt if a Mac will be able to run iOS apps, though I could be wrong on this. Rather, the new Mac OS will allow a single form of code to run on both iOS and Mac OS, but the wrappers will be different.

• By the way, I doubt if a Mac will be able to run iOS apps, though I could be wrong on this. Rather, the new Mac OS will allow a single form of code to run on both iOS and Mac OS, but the wrappers will be different.

ARM-powered Macs (“Apple silicon”) will run iOS Apps natively:

https://www.engadget.com/ios-apps-arm-powered-macs-192046502.html

• edited August 30

No, you're wrong. WLAN has not been taken away.

Thats the first bit of good news for 1Passowrd in a while :-) I am happy to support WLAN myself, its ever so easy and has not had a single problem in almost 10 years.

1Password 7 does not support WLAN sync anymore. Please see this post from our security team with more details.

It is odd that 1Password team member @ag_ana would say is gone if it has not gone.

If your figure for stand-alone purchase is correct, that would not be 40 weeks

You are quite write - my numbers make no sense. 40 Weeks was a typo. I meant 40 months or 3.3 years. I started in 2011 and saw version 4,5,6,7 which is a release about every two years. So buying every release would cost more and every other release would cost less based on the $64.99 x 3 vs $4.99 per month. I believe I have only ever used 4 and 6, so every other year seems reasonable.

Of course, a subscription leaves you at the mercy of the company, and companies do change radically, but historically AgileBits has a good reputation for treating its customers fairly.

There was a time when I would have agreed. But clearly they do not want people on the standalone version and details about it are so hidden, it feels almost like deception. I'm just one of those people who pays credit cards off every month and avoid credit. If I want something, I like to pay for it. Subscriptions usually cost less for multiple users, just like the subscription model does.

By the way, I doubt if a Mac will be able to run iOS apps,

Did you follow the link I posted which takes you to the article with the title "iOS apps will run on macOS with Project Catalyst".

• No, you're wrong. WLAN has not been taken away.

Thats the first bit of good news for 1Passowrd in a while :-) I am happy to support WLAN myself, its ever so easy and has not had a single problem in almost 10 years.

It is odd that 1Password team member @ag_ana would say is gone if it has not gone.

If your figure for stand-alone purchase is correct, that would not be 40 weeks

You are quite write - my numbers make no sense. 40 Weeks was a typo. I meant 40 months or 3.3 years. I started in 2011 and saw version 4,5,6,7 which is a release about every two years. So buying every release would cost more and every other release would cost less based on the $64.99 x 3 vs $4.99 per month. I believe I have only ever used 4 and 6, so every other year seems reasonable.

There was a time when I would have agreed. But clearly they do not want people on the standalone version and details about it are so hidden, it feels almost like deception. I'm just one of those people who pays credit cards off every month and avoid credit. If I want something, I like to pay for it. Subscriptions usually cost less for multiple users, just like the subscription model does.

By the way, I doubt if a Mac will be able to run iOS apps,

Did you follow the link I posted which takes you to the article with the title "iOS apps will run on macOS with Project Catalyst".
    I guess we will find out shortly.

• XIIIXIII
    edited August 30

My ad blocker blocks that link, but Catalyst Apps need to be configured in source code by the developer (AgileBits). Since 1Password has an excellent macOS App it’s unlikely they will do that.

Natively running the iOS App on Apple silicon might be a (minor) threat to their revenue though.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@Roger_Standalone:

I should clarify: WLAN sync is gone from 1Password for Windows, it's still available in 1Password for Mac :+1:

• Thanks. There goes my good news :-( At least I know my only choice is Mac now though, so thanks for clarifying.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

You are very welcome. Let us know if you have any questions @Roger_Standalone, we are here for that :)

• If it is too much effort to continue WLAN support in Windows 10, it it fair to assume it is likely to be short lived on OS X?

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@Roger_Standalone:

Since the feature already exists in 1Password for Mac, I am not aware of plans to remove it (while it would have to be completely written in 1Password for Windows).

• Instead of making the iOS App paid again they can also opt out:

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/apple_silicon/running_your_ios_apps_on_macos

So, I am probably wrong about iOS apps on the Mac, but it's not a thing I know anything about.

And, unfortunately, asl wrong about WLAN if you take Windows into account.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

No worries at all @danco, thank you as usual for jumping in and helping here :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file