Using an adblocker extension alongside with 1Password in mac.

Options
bear67512
bear67512
Community Member

Hi there, sorry if this question has been asked but i would like to ask [1] is it safe to use an adblocker alongside with 1Password. and [2] what adblocker extension would you recommend (sorry if this prohibited).

The reason why i am asking is because i am assuming that the adblockers would be able to read data from 1Password (seeing that they are sitting side by side) in my safari browser (correct me if i am wrong).

Any recommendations please?

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.6 (70600005)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member
    Options

@bear67512 Look for Ka-Block! in the App Store. and always check the extensions tab in Safari for what permissions the extension has.
    Like this:

As a bonus, it does a pretty good job of ad blocking.

• Ben
    Options

Hi there,

We're generally not in a position to endorse 3rd party software, however I would say the permissions that vplewis pointed out are important.

The reason why i am asking is because i am assuming that the adblockers would be able to read data from 1Password (seeing that they are sitting side by side) in my safari browser (correct me if i am wrong).

That is indeed a valid concern when installing any extension, and many of them ask for overly broad permissions. It appears Ka-Block that vplewis mentioned would not be able to read your passwords from webpages once you've filled them, based on the screenshot they provided.

Ben

• bear67512
    bear67512
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben, i understand that youre not in a position to make recommendations - sorry to put you in a tight spot. I'm just gleaning from general experience because the youtube ads are driving me crazy (don't laugh) hence the query.

• bear67512
    bear67512
    Community Member
    Options

@vplewis , thank you for responding to my question. i appreciate the effort to show the screenshot!

• Ben
    Options

@bear67512

No worries. And I totally understand about YouTube. I watch enough of it that for me it was worth subscribing to YouTube Premium. That way the content creators I follow still get paid and I don't have to watch ads. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.