Feature Suggestion: URL that directly links to record in app

jbs
jbs
Community Member

Lately I've been obsesses with QR codes. One way I've been finding them extremely useful relates to Evernote. Evernote has a feature alled an internal link. This is a URL that links to a specific Evernote record, but ONLY for a user logged into the corresponding account. To anyone else it just takes them to a login page. There's nothing personally identifiable in the URL, just a long random alphanumeric.

I've taken to making this URL into a QR code and printing them as a label to stick on various items. For example, I have an Evernote checklist of all the tools that go in a particular toolbox. Rather than print it out and keep it in the toolbox I just put a QR code on it. Scan it with my phone when I'm packing that toolbox and in under a second I'm looking at my latest version of my checklist.

It occurs to me that this would be extremely useful for 1Password as it relates to any physical object. A QR code on my deadbolt could link to my 1Password record of my currently stored lock codes. A QR code on my router could open my router credentials. A QR code on my garage door keypad could open the record with my garage codes.

I can tell you from experience with Evernote that being able to reliably access the note in a second rather than having to look it up with the search function each time makes it vastly easier. And security-wise it wouldn't mean anything to anyone else who scans it.

Happy to answer any questions I can about how it works in Evernote. Hope other people find the idea of interest!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @jbs

I'm happy to say this is already a feature. :) Right click on the item you want a URL for, select share, then select copy link. :+1:
    Note that the link will only be accessible to people who have access to the vault the item is stored in. Sharing the link with them does not give them access.

Use item links to help others find shared items

While this feature was primarily designed for a case where you want to send a link to an item to someone else... it'll work with non-shared items as well, and you can access these links yourself if desired.

Ben

• jbs
    jbs
    Community Member

Hmmm . . . I actually looked there before posting but I don't have that option. This is what I see when I follow your instructions:

I'm using version 7.6.780 for Windows and syncing via Dropbox. From your link it looks like even if I were syncing via the 1password cloud it wouldn't work for an individual user, only for a family plan or above. Is that correct?

Is there any way to do it with my setup?

Thanks!

• @jbs

I tested with an individual membership and at least with 1Password for Mac it does work with that membership level. I'll ask one of my colleagues on Windows to confirm how the Windows app handles it. The feature relies on the 1Password.com server processing the request, so it is tied to membership. You can read more about the benefits of membership here:

About 1Password membership

And if you do decide to upgrade instructions are available:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Ben

• @jbs

I was able to confirm with our Windows team that this function is available in the 1Password for Windows app with an individual membership — it is not restricted based on type of membership. I hope that's helpful.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.