1Password 0.8.4 (0.8.3 also) - Settings tries to open notepad.exe via wine (if wine installed).

I have noticed that while using AppImage verion of Linux 1Password 0.8.4 (and also 0.8[2-3]), when I try File->Settings it tries to start notepad.exe via wine (that I have installed). I think this is not a good solution - starting xterm and vim should be better one ;)

1Password Version: 0.8.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Slackware64 Linux
Sync Type: my.1password

Comments

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @Zwierz

Welcome to the 1Password Support Forum. 1Password doesn't call on any particular text editor — it opens whatever application you have set to handle .json files. This guide may be helpful in changing that association:

How to change the default application for a type of file on Linux – libre-software.net

Thanks for trying 1Password for Linux!

Ben

• Hi @Ben!

My bad, I haven't noticed that Cinammon (MATE fork) specified prefered applicatopn for source code as notepad.exe - that's odd but I tought it has quite good defaults...

Maybe other thing/missing feature but what about "Check for update..." mechanism? Now I have to download AppImage and check size of file, wich is not a great solution ;)

Best Regards,
    Michał

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

My bad, I haven't noticed that Cinammon (MATE fork) specified prefered applicatopn for source code as notepad.exe - that's odd but I tought it has quite good defaults...

Huh. Does indeed seem odd that they'd have a non-Linux app as a preferred app. Interesting. :)

Maybe other thing/missing feature but what about "Check for update..." mechanism? Now I have to download AppImage and check size of file, wich is not a great solution ;)

I'm not sure what other AppImages do in this regard? I'll check with our development team and see what might be possible here. I agree — having to check the file size is far from an ideal experience. heh. We do publish packages for many of the popular package managers, but I don't believe Slackware uses a package manager (at least, not out of the box)? Thanks for the suggestion!

Ben

• Maybe this is useful to some folks out there: Unless your distro changes things for you, Wine takes over a lot of file extensions by default. The Arch wiki has some good information and guidance.

• MikeTMikeT Agile Samurai

Team Member

Thanks, @inthreedee. We appreciate you sharing that and helping our community.

• ZwierzZwierz
    edited September 3

@Ben Slackware has somewhat "package manager" (called slackpkg), but as far as all is keeped simple it is far from dependency hell RPM or DEB have.

There are even tools to make slackware package - this is quite simple, becouse it is TAR-ed and XZed ;)

AppImage is just bundled in everything so Check For Update had to have some kind REST call to backend on 1Password side (update site or so) to send its version and get comparision to the latest I think.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Gotcha! Thanks for the additional info about Slackware packages. Slackware was actually the first Linux distro I had exposure to, but that was in the early 2000s, and I wasn't in a position to be installing software on the system. :) I'll check with the team to see how difficult it would be to add a slackpkg to our build process... sounds like it shouldn't be too bad, off-hand. I'll see too what we can do about updating the AppImage. :+1: Thanks again!

Ben

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file