Offtopic? Random development question

I noticed that you're able to keep the appindicator icon surviving screen lock on ubuntu 18.04. I'm very curious how you accomplished this, as I keep running into a bug that causes my app to lose it's icon.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• SavanniSavanni

Team Member

Hello, @jpayne! Thank you for asking.

My answer at the moment assumes that you are developing with Electron. Having talked to the other developers, there are two elements to our answer.

First of all, there was a bug in older versions of Electron that would actually cause the icon to get lost. That one you can easily resolve by updating to the 9.x series. This was a bug in how Electron and Gnome interacted with one another.

But the second part is that when we instantiate Tray, we ensure that we keep a strong reference to it. Like most applications, we have a data structure that stores some important elements in memory for the entire lifetime of the application. We add our Tray instantiation to that data store. Without that, it is possible that the runtime, especially an Electron runtime, will decide that the Tray is not in use and garbage collect it.

If you are talking about Gnome/Gtk in particular, then this is less relevant. I would have to do some separate research for that, since Electron handles the UI in 1Password for Linux.

• Thank you! Agilebits to the rescue once again :chuffed:

• MikeTMikeT Agile Samurai

Team Member

On behalf of our team, you're welcome!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file