So many hats: My Personal, My Job, My Company... adding Family, Adding Assistants...

I am David (Person/Husband):
I have regular accounts like Gmail, Youtube TV & Netflix and I bank at ABC Bank.
I am Gloria (Person/Wife/Retired):
I have regular accounts like Gmail, Passion Nova and I bank at XYZ Credit Union.
I am D&G Family:
We share Netflix, Youtube TV and of course, Davids Bank($) is Gloria's Bank($) too!
We would use the Family Plan to do this... OK I got this but...

I am actually David (Person/Husband/Government Job/Separate Business Owner)
I have a business that is only me at the moment but will quickly scale to include Assistants/Employees/Independant Contractors that i will need to share account access with.
All this needs to integrate separately and beautifully, like a good Italian dressing!
Guys, I'm a Left Brain data guy. I understand elements, objects & containers.
I'm a little pressed for time right now and I don't want to invest time on the wrong platform only to have to migrate at a cost later.
I think my business (Darb Depot LLC) should be a separate account that David "administrates", right?
At some point, David may not be the administrator for Darb Depot, so as I understand this, Darb Depot & David (The Administrator, not the Family guy!) are 2 objects, right?
Is the administrator of the Darb Depot account Separate?
I understand I can create an account for the company and add people but I want sever-ability from the Company.
Does this work the same between Business & Teams?
Please tell me there is a code guy in the house that 'sprechen sie the Greek I'm throwing out here?

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2020

Hi @DavidLH! Welcome to the forum!

I am David (Person/Husband):
    I have regular accounts like Gmail, Youtube TV & Netflix and I bank at ABC Bank.
    I am Gloria (Person/Wife/Retired):
    I have regular accounts like Gmail, Passion Nova and I bank at XYZ Credit Union.
    I am D&G Family:
    We share Netflix, Youtube TV and of course, Davids Bank($) is Gloria's Bank($) too!
    We would use the Family Plan to do this... OK I got this but...

I am actually David (Person/Husband/Government Job/Separate Business Owner)

For your needs, I recommend using a 1Password Business account, because it comes with its own separate Families account for all users. So you could have one account for your family needs, and a separate one for your business needs :+1:

Get a free 1Password Families membership when you use 1Password Business

I think my business (Darb Depot LLC) should be a separate account that David "administrates", right?

That would probably be easier to manage, yes.

At some point, David may not be the administrator for Darb Depot, so as I understand this, Darb Depot & David (The Administrator, not the Family guy!) are 2 objects, right?

Yes, but one is an account object, and the other is a user object. Every account has one or more administrators, so in case David The Administrator won't be the administrator anymore, you can add other users to the admin group.

Is the administrator of the Darb Depot account Separate?

If you create a separate one, you can do that. But generally you give administrator permissions to an existing user directly.

Does this work the same between Business & Teams?

Yes, when it comes to permissions and user management, they behave in the same way :)

• DavidLH
    DavidLH
    Community Member

OK, didn't expect a response so quick on Sat. Very cool.
    I did not know about the Family inclusion with business. That is very nice.
    I made the plunge... Got the Business Acct & upgraded my personal account to a family account to invite Wifey!
    This was VERY beneficial since she doesn't like it when I get a shiny new toy and she doesn't!
    Still trying to sort out how the personal information between all my hats will be sorted by I think this is gonna work just fine.

...and @ag_ana, you 'sprechen sie' real good! Loved the break down! ;)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are very welcome @DavidLH! And thank you for the kind words :) If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• DavidLH
    DavidLH
    Community Member

OK, so, I've had time to set everything up and...

• I have all my Personal stuff set up on Private vault in the Family Account.
    • Gloria has all her stuff set up in her account on the family plan.
    • We have a shared vault where my Netflix account happily resides.
      This is PERFECT because when one of us changed the Netflix Password, it applies to us both.
      This is also how it works between Team Members

NOW!!!

• I have all my Business stuff set up in a private vault on the business account.
    • I also have a shared Vault but nobody to share it with yet so...
    • I tried to invite myself?- (The Family Guy!) to the Darb Depot Team but it only allows me to start a new "me" as a team member.

This is not what I want.
    I want to have a shared Vault between Darb Depot and myself (The Family Guy) or another Team Member.
    As an example, Facebook requires an individual to be the Administrator of a Business Account. They are independent but linked.
    In my example, I want the Login Credentials for my personal Facebook Account in Darb Depot to be linked (or shared) with myself (The Family Guy) because they are one and the same AND if the password is updated in one, it is the same & so like Netflix, all is good.
    How do I invite another 1password member to be a Team Member with out creating a separate account?
    ...Is there a way to link any shared vault from the business account to the Family or personal account?

• Hi @DavidLH

It sounds like you're off to a really good start! :)

...Is there a way to link any shared vault from the business account to the Family or personal account?

In order to access 1Password data inside of a membership one must have an account within said membership. There is no ability to "link" accounts or share vaults between memberships at present. It is possible to have multiple accounts signed in with the 1Password apps though, so you can have both your Darb Depot account and your account within the 1Password Families membership added to the same apps, if desired.

I have come across some cases where, e.g. someone would like to have only a subset of their work data on their personal devices. Perhaps they want to be able to check their work email at home, but they don't want all of their work credentials on their home devices. In this case inviting yourself as a guest to the business membership may help. Guests have access to one (and only one) shared vault. This way you could sign into the guest account on your home devices, giving you access to that subset of data, but on your work devices you'd use the "regular" account within the business membership which has access to everything. Would that help here?

Share with guests in your team

This could also work in reverse, if instead you want "work you" to have limited access to the family data:

Share with guests in 1Password Families

This isn't exactly the case that guests were designed for, but they may fill the need. The intention for them was more for e.g. a contractor, business affiliate, distant relation that is visiting, etc, that only needs a few items and as such it doesn't make sense to add them as a bonafide team / family member.

As an example, Facebook requires an individual to be the Administrator of a Business Account. They are independent but linked.

I've run into this myself. Personally I wish they wouldn't do it this way, but that's for another thread. :)

In my example, I want the Login Credentials for my personal Facebook Account in Darb Depot to be linked (or shared) with myself (The Family Guy) because they are one and the same AND if the password is updated in one, it is the same & so like Netflix, all is good.

I think I understand. Unfortunately there isn't a way to do this across multiple memberships. You'd have to choose which membership you want your Facebook item to live in: the business, or the family. There isn't a way to have changes to an item in one membership affect items inside another membership.

Ben

• DavidLH
    DavidLH
    Community Member
    edited September 2020

Dang! >_<
    That is what I thought you'd say!
    8-) Am I crazy for wanting this?
    If I send a request for a VA to join my team and he/she falls in love with 1Password,
    they too will want to have their accounts linked like I do.
    Why isn't this allowed?
    ... and/or is 1Password working to make this available?
    ...cuz this is kind of a big deal!

Is there a more appropriate way to kick this up to the honchos?

• @DavidLH

This forum is a great place for feature requests. :) This comes down to a foundational design decision though and as such I think it may be more productive to talk about how we might accomplish what you're looking for using other means. I think I'm missing exactly what the desired outcome is here. Would you be able to elaborate on what you're trying to accomplish that you're getting hung up on presently? An example or two may help. I have a feeling we may be getting stuck on the implementation details vs end results.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.