Use family license with standalone vault?

I have a family license, which works great on most of our devices.

For various reasons I need to run a standalone vault on single system. Is there a way to license that copy, for example with an extracted license file - but under no circumstances must it login to 1password.com nor share the vault with other systems, never mind the cloud?

Having to shell out for a whole separate standalone license when I'm already paying for a family license seems a bit too much.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:family standalone

Comments

• In the Advanced Preferences for 1Password on your computer, there is an option "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password Accounts" that you can enable.

Be aware that this affects what master password you will use to unlock 1Password on that device.

• Thanks for the super fast reply, impressive!

So, first authentication is still with my usual credentials/secret key/etc?

• When you enable that setting, you will be prompted to create a new vault called "Primary". This vault will have its own master password, and that will be the master password you'll use to unlock 1Password when using the machine on which the "Primary" vault was created. So it will be a different master password than the one you've been using (which is the one associate with your Personal vault in your 1Password account), unless of course you make the master passwords the same.

• Worked like a charm! How often does the 1P "call home"? Firewalls would frequently block connections to 1password.com.

Now I just need to do a one time export, clean up, then import into standalone.

• I am not sure how often it calls home, to be honest. 1Password always caches your vaults locally so you don't need an internet connection to access your vaults, and the vault you just created is entirely local, so all the more independent of any internet connectivity! Hope this works for you! :chuffed:

• Only mildly annoying thing is that the cloud vaults are still visible, even though I can "exclude" them. Ideally I don't even want them at all. This is one of those corporate governance and compliance things, which is why I'm jumping through all those hoops.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@Marakai666:

The only way to remove your 1Password.com vaults from your 1Password app altogether would indeed be to license this specific app separately, so you can activate it without a 1Password account and through a standalone license instead. But if you already have a Families subscription, I agree that it would not be ideal.

• Thanks for that. For now, I've set the local vault to default for everything and set the two cloud vaults to exclude. That way I should at least avoid cross contamination. Worst case I may have to ask for the specific vault URLs to block connections to them while still allowing any required licensing communication.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@Marakai666:

Thanks for that. For now, I've set the local vault to default for everything and set the two cloud vaults to exclude. That way I should at least avoid cross contamination.

Indeed :+1:

Worst case I may have to ask for the specific vault URLs to block connections to them while still allowing any required licensing communication.

I am not a firewall expert, but perhaps this article could help you with this:

1Password ports and domains

• That could be quite useful! Many thanks!

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

You are welcome @Marakai666! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file