Sync options available with a 1Password membership?

MooMoo Junior Member

I currently have 2 stand-alone Vaults, one is for private use, the other for work. Both are synced via Dropbox.

I'm thinking of switching to a 1Password membership for personal use. However, on my work Mac I can't (and wouldn't want to) log in to my personal 1Password account. If I were to store my work-related passwords there as well, I wouldn't be able to access them.

If I switch to a 1Password membership, will I still be able to have a separate Vault for work, synced via Dropbox?

https://support.1password.com/sync-with-dropbox/

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

Hi @Moo!

If I switch to a 1Password membership, will I still be able to have a separate Vault for work, synced via Dropbox?

Yes, you can have both vaults stored on Dropbox and on 1Password.com. But on your work Mac, it looks like you are not going to login to your 1Password account anyway, so on that machine you can continue using only your Dropbox vaults as usual :+1:

• MooMoo Junior Member

Hi @ag_ana

I just signed up for a 1Password membership within 1Password 7.7 on macOS Big Sur. Everything works, but no additional syncing options are available. I'm not able to add the Vault I use for work and have stored in Dropbox. It seems that all this is disabled.

So... not possible after all?

The "Sync" https://support.1password.com/sync-with-dropbox/ tab displayed here simply isn't visible in my 1Password app.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

1Password memberships do not have any sync settings as that is built-in to the account: everything in it is available on each device by signing in. Dropbox is not involved at all. You just need to have all of your data in your 1Password membership account, and setup all of your devices with only that, and they will have the same data and any changes you make going forward. Cheers! :)

• MooMoo Junior Member

@brenty Thanks for the clarification.

Unfortunately the opposite of what I am looking for, and also directly contradicts what @ag_ana said before. I guess the 1P subscription isn't an option for me...

• dancodanco Senior Member Community Moderator

There isn't actually a contradiction between @brenty and @ag_ana . You CAN have both types of syncing, but for different vaults, and it isn't a default.

All vaults associated with an account (subscription/membership) sync automatically as @brenty says, and do not use Dropbox. However (it's in the Advanced section of preferences) you can have a local vault outside the account, and that will sync via Dropbox or iCloud.

The question is why you would want this. You may have special needs, but for most of us moving the old vault into a vault that is part of the subscription works best.

• MooMoo Junior Member

Thanks @danco! A bit hidden, and I completely missed that option, but that indeed enables both!

I now have:

• a Personal vault, connected to and automatically synced with the new 1Password account
    • a Primary vault, located on my Mac (it's empty, but that seems to be needed for this to work)
    • my existing work vault, synced with Dropbox, separate from everything else

As far as I can see this works really well, so that's awesome.

Main reason is that I don't want to log in to my personal 1Password account on a work machine, to keep that completely separate.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

Thank you for sharing this update with us @Moo! I am glad to hear that the current configuration is working well for you :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file