The opvault conversion doesn't work properly--messes up existing data.

Options

I am upgrading from 1Password version 4 on Windows to the current version of 1Password on a brand new computer. I tried having the new 1Password version convert the existing vault that I copied over from my old computer from agilekeychain to opvault format and it did not work right, I started over and went through the process of having version 4 do the opvault conversion and using that vault in the new 1Password software with the same result. Two problems I have found (so far):
1) Regardless of what entry I click on in 1Password (v7.6.780) on my Windows 10 laptop, the detail panel always shows the same entry.
2) The conversion program generated its own set of nearly duplicate tags and added them to the entries so the tags are totally hosed. For example, one tag I had created is "Internet - Dance-related" (no quotes) and the conversion program ALSO generated "Internet-sites::Dance-related" . It also automatically created many of its own sub-tags containing the entries that were in the original tag group I created.

I have been struggling with 1Password for 2 full days now--first trying to get version 4 on my new laptop to WLAN sync with my Android phone--no luck--and now I have spent several hours trying to get version 7 to work properly on my new laptop with my existing data. I really need to get this working so I can move into my new laptop and needless to say, I am beyond frustrated. Please help. Thank you.

1Password Version: 7.6.780
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:opvault conversion generated extra duplicate tags

Comments

• MontereyCA
    MontereyCA
    Community Member
    Options

Follow-up to the above post--I rebooted my computer and now 1Password is properly displaying the correct item detail. Unfortunately the tag mess is still a problem.

• MontereyCA
    MontereyCA
    Community Member
    Options

Sigh......Never mind. I just cleaned everything up manually.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MontereyCA,

I am really sorry to hear about all these troubles you bumped into with 1Password! Let's try to understand what happened.

First of all, am I right to understand that you started using 1Password 7 with a local vault, not with 1Password account? I believe that something went wrong with the conversion of the local vault when you opened it in 1Password 7, so we need to investigate.

I tried having the new 1Password version convert the existing vault that I copied over from my old computer from agilekeychain to opvault format and it did not work right

Could you please specify what went wrong here? Did it work correctly in 1Password 4?

As for:

Regardless of what entry I click on in 1Password (v7.6.780) on my Windows 10 laptop, the detail panel always shows the same entry

It is possible that you started editing one of the items and never saved it. While you are in Edit mode, 1Password 7 shows you the item you are editing in the Item Viewer, no matter which other item you select in the list. Restarting 1Password quit Edit mode and it started working normally.

Thanks in advance!

++
    Greg

• MontereyCA
    MontereyCA
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, Greg. The only thing that appeared to be messed up by the conversions were the tags and it appears that the conversion routine both within version 7 as well as the standalone conversion utility made some assumptions about the tag names that I had chosen. I spot-checked a few of the entries themselves after the conversions and the rest of the data appears to be OK. I presume you are wanting more details so you can confirm the conversion routine is OK so I will recap for you:

I have been using a local vault in version 4 of 1Password on my PC (Windows 10) and syncing it with my Samsung Galaxy S10 via WLAN. I recently bought a new PC and decided to start using the current subscription version 7 of 1Password on my new computer. I have several hundred entries in my local vault so I needed to make the data available to v7 on my new PC. I first copied my existing agilekeychain folder from my old PC to my new one and allowed 1Password v7 to convert it to the opvault format. When I saw that the tags were messed up, I did some research in this forum and discovered that I could do the conversion manually by creating a PIF file of my local vault in v4 and then importing it back in the opvault format. I was of course hoping that the manual utility would work better than the v7 conversion but in both cases the tags were messed up in the same way.

Many of the tags I had created (in v4) were like this:
    Internet - Dance-related
    Internet - Employment-related
    Internet - Financial/Bills
    Internet - Health/Medical
    Internet - Technical

The conversion to opvault format results were:
    1. Tags with the slashes in the name were interpreted as a folder directory structure. So for example, "Internet - Financial/Bills" became an "Internet - Financial" tag with no items and then a subtag of "Bills" with ALL of the items in it.
    2. AND a second set of tags was generated and added to many (but not all) of the items. These new tags looked like this (the double colon below is not a typo; it is the actual way the new tags were generated):
    Internet-sites:: Dance-related
    Internet-sites:: Employment-related
    etc.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I managed to clean the tags up manually by deleting the new tags and then renaming my own tags to remove the slashes (they were not intended to indicate subtags), moving the items from the subtag group to the main group, and then deleting the subtags. I was very grateful that v7 supported this type of editing capability. :-)

I hope the above provides the information you were looking for and reassures you that the conversion routine did not mess up anything critical. Let me know if you have any questions and thank you very much for reaching out to help me.
    -Karen

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MontereyCA,

Thank you for your detailed reply! It is really helpful and appreciated. :) :+1:

If you started using a 1Password account, there is a recommended way of migrating your existing data that doesn't involve exporting and importing your items. I wonder if it would work better in your situation in regards to tags.

The thing is that 1Password 7 for Windows supports so-called nested tags and the way to make the tag nested is to use slash /. Since you had slash in your tag names, all of them were converted to nested tags. Sorry about that!

I am also not sure what happened with the second set of tags, but I am glad to hear that you managed to fix them manually.

If you have any other questions for us now, feel free to raise them here. We are always ready to help you with any questions about 1Password. Thanks!

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.