Why does 1Password Mac ever need camera access, ever? And for iOS QR, why isn't it autoremoved?🤔🧐

Options
thecodercody
thecodercody
Community Member

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.15.6
Sync Type: all

Comments

• thecodercody
    thecodercody
    Community Member
    Options

and why did it make my character a cute satan?

• scottisloud
    scottisloud
    Community Member
    Options

In general iOS and macOS make it very difficult for undetected use of the camera or microphone even after the user grants permission to an app to access them. If you are concerned about granting this permission indefinitely, both macOS and iOS make it very easy for you to revoke that permission once you no longer need it. It is my understanding that application developers on both macOS and iOS can only request permission. They do not have the ability to revoke their own permission. The user can respond to a request, and can later choose to revoke if they wish.

Personally, I think there is little risk to begin with, and if I wanted to reduce that risk even further, I'd just revoke permission and carry on with my day.

To control permission on your Mac:
    https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/mac-help/mchlf6d108da/mac
    and iOS:
    https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/iphone/iph168c4bbd5/14.0/ios/14.0

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @thecodercody! Welcome to the forum!

As you can see in the screenshot you posted from the discussion on this forum, camera access is required to allow scanning of QR codes in 1Password. You would use that, for example, if you would like to use 1Password as your authenticator app:

Use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-factor authentication

If you don't plan on using the feature, however, you can certainly disable the permission and configure 2FA manually :+1: Operating systems don't accept or revoke permissions automatically, that is left for the user to do.

This discussion has been closed.