Subscribe or one off purchase?

LaTempestLaTempest
edited October 5 in Purchasing

Hello, I have been a user of 1Password since version 3. I've just upgraded my Mac and re installing apps etc. I was using version 6 on my older mac but have downloaded version 7. I don't need to 'share' my passwords with anyone but would like them to be synced via DropBox so I can access them via my phone, laptop and new mac.

Is the best option the one off payment or subscribe for the monthly fee? What do i gain with the monthly fee? which after a time will be more expensive than the one off payment?

And what is the pricing in UK GBP? or will it be billed in USD and then converted by my bank?

Thanks

1Password Version: 6, 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.15.7
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member
    edited October 5

Hi @LaTempest!

I'd be happy to help you in the right direction on that. :) We're no longer advertising licenses. Membership is the way forward. With membership you always have access to the latest versions of the 1Password apps for each of your compatible devices, as well as access to the 1Password service itself. With licensing a separate license was needed for each major version on each platform, and it was prior to the 1Password service existing. You can learn more about membership and the benefits here:

About 1Password membership

On top of that you're also going from v6 to v7. There are a huge number of benefits in that as well, which you can read more about here:

1Password 7 for Mac: The Best Ever

Please note that blog post was written 2+ years ago when v7 was originally released, and so things have evolved and improved even since then. :) As a security focused company we'd always recommend running the latest versions of all of your software, but especially your operating system, web browser(s), and 1Password.

And what is the pricing in UK GBP? or will it be billed in USD and then converted by my bank?

There are three different regions 1Password is offered in: USA (1Password.com), Canada (1Password.ca), and Europe (specifically Germany; 1Password.eu). If you subscribe directly through us then the currency you are billed in will depend on the region you create your account on: USD, CAD, or EUR (respectively). If you sign up through a 3rd party such as Apple or Google then the currency you'd be billed in would be determined by them, and is generally your local currency. Please note that the pricing listed on our website is not inclusive of tax. Tax would be added on once we have enough information from you to calculate the appropriate rate. Our marketing website does not collect enough information to make that determination. 3rd party billers may already have that information from you and as such their pricing may include tax.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• Ben,
    Thanks for your reply and explanation. I guess it's the way of the world at the moment that a lot of software is going down the subscription route, seems to be any easy way of increasing revenue! The reason i jumped ship from Adobe to Affinity.

I have the version 7 installed and will evaluate over the next 30days. I'll also look at other options out there.

Thanks

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

I hope 1Password 7 and membership will be able to show you their worth in that time. :) Thanks for the honest feedback. :+1:

Ben

• Ben, in your first reply, you mentioned that you're no longer advertising licenses. But are you offering unadvertised licenses? That is, is it possible to purchase a 1Password 7 standalone license by any means? I read all of your comments with interest, but I still strongly prefer a single purchase over a membership.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@jocala99

It is possible to purchase a 1Password 7 license from within the 1Password for Mac app when downloaded from our website.

https://1password.com/downloads/

That said, I would strongly urge you to reconsider. Membership is the way forward for 1Password.

Ben

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file