1Password icon in right-click context menu seems non-functional ...is it?

Options
Carbon14
Carbon14
Community Member
edited October 2020 in 1Password in the Browser

I've been using 1Password 7 for a week or so now. As a previous 4, 5, and 6 user I expect to access 1Password functions when I right-click and select the 1Password icon. But nothing seems to happen. Can someone explain??

1Password Version: 7.6.785
Extension Version: 1.22.2
OS Version: Windows 10 10.0
Sync Type: 1Password
Referrer: forum-search:right-click context menu

Comments

• Hello @Carbon14 ,

Your screenshot indicates that you don't have the 1Password extension (Desktop app required) enabled. Could you please try these steps to see how it works?

Go here on Firefox about:addons > Search and disable 1Password X - Password Manager and turn on 1Password extension (Desktop app required).

If you don't see 1Password extension (Desktop app required) on the list, you can get it from here > Close and open Firefox and try it again.

• Carbon14
    Carbon14
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @nhat_1P. I’m confused. Should I not be using 1PasswordX with 1P7? I have to use the older extension? Is that icon installed by the desktop app then?

Until there is synchronicity between desktop and 1PasswordX, i guess I don’t need the desktop app.

Would you be so kind as to outline the different combinations of app/extension/1PX ?? Then I can figure out the configuration I need.

Many thanks!

• Nhat_Nguyen
    edited October 2020
    Options

Hello @Carbon14 ,

I understand that there might be some confusion about 1Password extensions so please let me explain a little bit about 1Password products.

There are currently two 1Password extensions you can download for your browsers;

The first one is 1Password extension (desktop app required). Most users who used 1Password before will be familiar with this. This extension can't work on its own, and users must have the 1Password app (1Password 7) installed. You can find more information about 1Password 7 from here:https://blog.1password.com/1password-7-for-windows-the-best-ever/ and instructions on how to use 1Password 7 from here: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-windows/

The second one is 1Password X-Password manager. 1Password X is a standalone extension that works without the need for the 1Password app. It is our latest product, and you can find more information about 1Password X from here: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-1password-x/. If you are interested, you can download 1Password X for your browser by going here https://1password.com/downloads > Scroll down to "Download 1Password X" and select a browser.

1PasswordX and 1Password 7 are two different products that do the same things in different ways, and you are welcome to try them both to see which one suits you most.

I hope this helps answer your question. Please let me know if you need more information.

• Carbon14
    Carbon14
    Community Member
    Options

That totally clears things up. I was seeing 1PasswordX as a mere updated extension. Thank you for that.

I think I can figure everything out from here but you know ’ll be sure to ask if not ;-)

Thanks for your patience

• Thank you for letting me know. It is great to hear that everything is clear. Please feel free to give me a shout if you need anything, and have a great week.

Best regards,

• Carbon14
    Carbon14
    Community Member
    Options

Good morning @nhat_1P ... I'm sorry if I am driving you crazy ...

I read your note as well as both links you provided. Things are as I you explained. Good.

I decided I would use the 1P desktop app with the basic browser extension (versus 1PX). I love 1PX experience but as I wrote you before, without the link to the desktop app, having to re-type my master pwd every time I re-open the browser is tedious. So going old school was the route I chose.

I unlocked the desktop app, installed the Firefox browser extension from the link inside the app (v.4.7.5.90), but the 1P icon remains grey and the right-click context menu remains non-functional.

I have no idea what I have done incorrectly. I am hoping you might have some idea. Thanks in advance.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Carbon14:

As a first attempt, can you please try the following troubleshooting steps and see if they help?

If the 1Password extension isn’t working in your browser

• Carbon14
    Carbon14
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @ag_ana !! That fixed it!

The third option (1password.exe setup) was the charm. Thank you. And thank you all for your patience. ;-)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are very welcome @Carbon14! I am glad I could help :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.