old standalone for mac and new windows

I have standalone 1P 6.8.8 on my desktop mac (purchased in mac app store), that sync's with with iPhone and iPad through wifi. I'm getting a new windows laptop and want to be able to sync the new laptop, is there a way with my current 1P? if not, what do you recommend? I would prefer a standalone and not subscription based, and I prefer syncing with wifi. I'm not married to that those options, just a preference and would like to know my choices.
My iPhone says I have 1P version 7.7
Thank you

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: mac OS Catalina 10.15.7
Sync Type: Wifi

Comments

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

Hi @safety1!

Your current license of 1Password purchased from the Mac App Store only allows you to use 1Password on your Mac devices, so you won't be able to keep your current configuration and extend it to your new Windows device I am afraid. 1Password 7 on Windows also does not support WLAN sync, so it might indeed be time to consider a different sync method

You have two options:

1. You get a 1Password Membership, so all your devices are covered. With a Membership, you get the latest version of the 1Password app for all your devices (including the Mac, which you can also upgrade to version 7). You get automatic sync through 1Password.com with this option.
    2. You purchase a standalone license for 1Password 7 for Windows. The downside of this is that your Mac will remain on version 6, and you would need a third party sync method (Dropbox), to keep your devices in sync, since a standalone license does not come with automatic sync via 1Password.com.

Personally, I would suggest option 1 as it's just the easiest one, and it comes with many more features such as Travel Mode and Item History, to give you just a couple of examples :+1:

• ok so it looks I will need to with the subscription model (1Password membership). Will there be a way to migrate my current logons and passwords to this membership? if so how? I'm not really that tech savvy. also, it says my passwords would sync through 1P, does that put my passwords at risk? Are you now holding them on a server or something? Is that going to be safer then syncing over wifi, as I now do. Thanks again

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@safety1:

Will there be a way to migrate my current logons and passwords to this membership? if so how?

Yes! You can find the instructions to do that here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

also, it says my passwords would sync through 1P, does that put my passwords at risk? Are you now holding them on a server or something?

Your data will be stored on 1Password.com, but it will still be encrypted and secured. You can read more about our security model here:

About the 1Password security model

And of course let us know if you have any questions about this!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file