How can 1PW be used on both my wife's and my devices (separate phones and laptops)

Considering purchase, but ...

Is a "family" plan required? Example: We have different Amazon login accounts, but will often share logins to get different discounts, or charge to different bank accounts, etc.

How do we update other devices, like a Roku, to use an Amazon Prime account, if we don't "know" the actual random password generated by 1PW?

Can 1PW supply different credentials for the same website to log in different accounts?

Is a copy of the password vault kept on each device? How and when are they sync'ed? Is an Internet connection always required?

Is there an "easy" way for 1PW to address a Google "compromised passwords" issue for hundreds of accounts?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I want to know how 1P can be used on both my wife's and my devices (separate phones and laptops)

Comments

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @rduncan

Welcome to the 1Password Support Community. :)

Is a "family" plan required? Example: We have different Amazon login accounts, but will often share logins to get different discounts, or charge to different bank accounts, etc.

1Password Families is likely the best choice here. With 1Password Families there is a built-in Shared vault that is accessible to all accounts on the membership. Additionally you can create your own vaults and share them with one or more accounts within the membership if desired.

How do we update other devices, like a Roku, to use an Amazon Prime account, if we don't "know" the actual random password generated by 1PW?

I'm not familiar with Roku, but for example Apple TV has the ability to be controlled from an iPhone or other iOS / iPadOS device. The Remote app has integration with Password AutoFill, which would allow you to fill from 1Password into the Apple TV. I would suspect Roku would offer a similar thing.

In looking, it does appear Roku has an iOS app. Also, it isn't as if 1Password makes it impossible for you to know what your passwords are. You can certainly look them up in 1Password if needed. :+1:

Can 1PW supply different credentials for the same website to log in different accounts?

Yes. :)

Is a copy of the password vault kept on each device?

It is. This enables offline access.

How and when are they sync'ed?

They are synced when the device is connected to the internet and when the app is unlocked or once unlocked a change to your data is made.

Is an Internet connection always required?

No it is not. You'd only need to be connected to the internet to do the initial setup of the device, and any time you want to sync.

Is there an "easy" way for 1PW to address a Google "compromised passwords" issue for hundreds of accounts?

1Password can help by generating a secure unique password for each of your accounts, but the process for changing those passwords is manual and depends on the service you're changing the password for.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• Thanks Ben. We use Android phones, and Google found over 200 compromised passwords. Painful and long manual process to change all these, meanwhile coordinating with other devices.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@rduncan,

Could you tell me a little more about this?

and Google found over 200 compromised passwords

How did Google get your passwords? Are these passwords for Google accounts, or is this perhaps a result of using some sort of password management solution on your Android phones?

We use Android phones

Gotcha. I'm not personally incredibly familiar with Android, but if we get into anything Android specific I can certainly loop in one of my colleagues who works on that platform.

Painful and long manual process to change all these, meanwhile coordinating with other devices.

I understand. Did they indicate what the nature of the compromise was? For example, is it the case that this is a reused password that is shared by these 200 accounts?

Ben

• Google Chrome has a Windows/website/Android password management/autofill feature very much like 1PW. But no cross-browser support, etc. Android phones use Google account login, so passwords were migrated transparently. I may still elect not to use 1PW.

Since last year, they offer free checking for pwned accounts, security breaches, etc. and will flag them. I confess to having a bunch of online accounts with the same difficult password, and one of these account service providers was compromised. None of these had stored credit card info, etc., but still ...

It is a great inducement to clean up my act.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

I see. Thanks for the additional information @rduncan. Indeed; reusing passwords is unfortunately incredibly common, and can lead to difficulties like this. 1Password can warn about reused passwords and can also generate a secure unique password for each service that you use to avoid that problem going forward. We have a couple of guides that may be of interest:

Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file