Initial Feedback - Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon

Hi 1Password team,

I just woke up to an email newsletter from @dteare mentioning a Linux Beta app, so the app was installed a few minutes later.

Entirely in the spirit of Thanksgiving, and with zero negative intentions in my mind, I would like to share the following initial observations:

1) A BIG HUGE THANK YOU!

As a long-term 1Password user (probably since around v1 on Mac) I am very happy to see full Linux app support.

As a mostly macOS deserter I have to cheekily ask: "what took you so long?" :p

2) Initial Impression is good

The app looks good and seems to work well (so far) and is fast in all UI interactions, although some key ones are currently missing ("New Item"). And the "Settings" as JSON is a bit non-optimized, but I'm certain those issues will change soon / eventually.

3) App Icon is missing (wrong)

I know it's a fairly minor issue, but just providing as feedback. See screenshots below:

Apps panel window

Active Apps Panel (aka Dock)

4) System Tray Icon: Reactivation of the app

System Tray Icon with pop-up menu

It would be really great if you could change the current behavior from showing a pop-up menu as the default, into instead showing / opening the app window, and keeping the menu as the right-click action.

Currently re-activating the app is a fiddly two-click process that's not particularly good, and the only real reason for a user to click the icon would be to:

• re-activate the app (most commonly used)
  • quit the app (used less often) and covered by the right-click option already there.

FYI: The Update Manager tray icon gets this right, and so does the Telegram Desktop app (version shown below), so it is at least technically possible.

Telegram Desktop app version

5) System Tray Icon: Monochrome version of icon

It would also be great if the icon could also be a muted monochromatic version. Not a big one, but I mention it just because I know you guys care about them small details.

6) Currently Installed App Version

My apologies if my eyesight is deficient here, but I cannot see any info on what version of the app I have installed, other than the "Developer Preview" ladybug thing.

It might be a good idea to output that info somewhere easily observed.

7) "Show in Large Type" window

The "Show in Large Type" option for passwords has the following issues:

a) on a dual-screen setup, with 1Password app on the second screen, the large-type window opens on the main screen instead of near the app window. This is confusing.

b) I accidentally discovered that it is possible to open many copies of the large-type window while discovering point (a).

c) I think you guys should copy the UI and flow from 1Password X in this regards if that is at all possible.

Thanks for your time and attention, and my best wishes to everyone.

Please feel free to contact me if you require additional info.

1Password Version: Linux Beta (latest)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• These are some great points and I have been able to replicate all of them on Fedora 33. Interestingly, the snap version seems to ship with the correct icon in my case.

I also note that there are some padding issues with Large Type passwords (notice the 'M'):

• MikeTMikeT Agile Samurai

Team Member

Hi guys,

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us.

1. You're absolutely welcome and the best part is that we're just getting started. A lot of things we've learned here will apply to other apps as well.
    2. We're currently focusing on the item details viewer and editor before we switch the focus to the item creator. We do plan to build a UI for the settings for sure.
    3. This is due to your theme icon's setting that's overriding the 1Password icon. Here's what happens when I use the Mint-X icons instead.
    4. We'll keep this in mind. You could click 1Password icon on the taskbar if you wanted to click once to open it after minimizing instead of closing or use the keyboard shortcut to open it. This may be problematic to be consistent as not every distro has the system tray, many other apps default to showing the menu on click (but not many app runs after closing last window either).
    5. Yep, we actually have this as an option for 1Password X as well. We'll consider it.
    6. Press the alt key to bring up the menu bar and go to the Help Menu > 1Password to see the version.
    7. a) We'll check to make sure Large Type show up on the same screen as the main app. b) As for multiple copies, that's intentional to let you view as many as you want. We don't check for duplicates. c) Can you expand on what you mean? 1Password X is meant to be constrained due to its limitations and being constrained to its browser view.

@rubmifzz It does have a minimal padding size to avoid that issue. In fact, here's what it does when it doesn't fit:

Can you tell us your system configuration, so we can figure out what's going on.

• @MikeT

Not sure what you need specifically but my system configuration is as follows:

• 1Password: 1password-0.9.5
    • Package Type: RPM
    • Interface Text: Cantarell Regular 11
    • Document Text: Cantarell Regular 11
    • Monospace Text: Source Code Pro Regular 10
    • Legacy Window Titles: Cantarell Bold 11
    • Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

The padding seems to get better if I resize the window smaller, then gets worse as I resize it, but then gets better again when it's huge.

This is the default:

This is resized smaller:

This is resized huge (spanning 2x 1920x1080 screens)

Hope this helps, let me know if you need anything else.

Team Member
    edited December 2020

Thanks, we'll take a look soon.

[Updated: I incorrectly mentioned Fedora 33 instead of Mint 20 in my screenshots]

Team Member

I was able to reproduce the issue with a few passwords after going through several other passwords, it doesn't seem to happen on all passwords for me. It feels like it isn't factoring in the fixed-width font before rendering the initial window. We'll see what's going on and get it fixed.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file