Purchase Gift Card with Visa - not via PayPal

I am trying to purchase a Gift Card, but it seems the only payment options are PayPal and Cryptocurrencies. This is confirmed in a recent Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/1Password/comments/ih1cai/cant_purchased_gift_card_using_credit_or_debit/

I do not have a Paypal account and do not use cryptocurrencies. Instead, I have a Visa card and this is what I would like to use.

Is there any possibility for me to use my Visa card to make the Gift Card purchase? The aforementioned Reddit thread contains the following input from a 1Password employee:

"I'm fairly certain there is nothing we can do to allow payment with a CC or debit card, but! If you drop our billing team a line via email at billingAT1passwordDOTcom, there is some small chance they may have some super powers that would allow them to help."

Is this comment still valid? Is it worth my while contacting the billing team or would it be a waste of time?

Many thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@teejaydee: I don't think it's a waste of time to contact us here or via email, but the billing team would certainly be the most knowledgable in this area. They may know things about the intricacies of all this that I and others who spend our days doing mostly non-billing-related things don't.

That said, while payments for 1Password gift cards are handled by the company PayPal as the payment processor, that doesn't necessarily mean you need to have a PayPal account, just like you probably don't have an account with others in the space such as Stripe.

I say "necessarily", because I know that how PayPal operates can differ between countries (I believe they are regulated as a bank in Europe, while in the US they are not). But I was able to go through the checkout process here entering credit card information just as I would to make a payment on most websites without having an account to sign into or creating one, by selecting the "Pay with Debit or Credit Card" option:

Again, I can't say that it will work the same way in countries where things are setup differently, but it's worth a shot. Let me know how it goes. :)

• Many thanks @brenty for your very helpful reply. The screenshot was most welcome, especially your highlighting of the "Pay with Debit or Credit Card" button. When I saw this I thought perhaps I had missed this when I tried to make the purchase a couple of days ago. However, I have just tried again and in my case there is no such button.

As you suggest, this may be a country-dependent thing, I used to live in Cyprus and made purchases from various vendors, and I seem to remember being able to check-out as your screenshot indicates, by just clicking the "Pay with Debit or Credit Card" button and thereby not needing a Paypal account. I am now on a short tour of Europe. I first tried to make the payment in North Macedonia and today in Albania. In both cases the button is not shown.

I originally thought this feature had been disabled at 1Password's request, but from what you say that is not the case.

Don't worry, I shall contact the billing team and see if they can help. My current subscription does not expire until January. However, I was trying to purchase a $125 gift card at the discounted price, and I am concerned this discount is associated with Black Friday and therefore the offer will shortly expire.

Once again, many thanks for you help and advice.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

Don't worry, I shall contact the billing team and see if they can help.

Thank you! After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file