upgrade options if any

zeitgoosezeitgoose
edited December 2020 in Purchasing

Hello, I'm a longtime 1password user running 1P6 and ios versions. I wanted to know what would happen to my syncing if I were to upgrade to 1Password 7 standalone (I realize it's no longer advertised and I would have to email you.) Right now it seems my syncing is happening with iCloud. I'm happy with everything as it is with the exception that I can no longer have a Safari extension. If I request to purchase and then upgrade to 1P7 standalone would I lose my icloud syncing capabilities? I will never purchase any apps on a subscription model and I'm just trying to see if there's any way forward for me. Thanks.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.15
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

Hi @zeitgoose!

If I request to purchase and then upgrade to 1P7 standalone would I lose my icloud syncing capabilities?

No, you can continue syncing with the same method you have been using until now :+1:

• zeitgoosezeitgoose
    edited December 2020

Thank you for your quick reply. One other quick question-- if I leave my older macbook (Sierra) running v6, will it still continue to sync? (I guess I'm confused by how it says your old vault will be converted?)

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@zeitgoose:

(I guess I'm confused by how it says your old vault will be converted?)

Is your existing vault perhaps in .agilekeychain format? I wonder if what you are seeing is 1Password telling you that the vault will be converted to the newer .opvault format.

• I was confused because I read

"When you open the app for the first time...Your accounts and vaults will be imported from the earlier version of 1Password."

so I wasn't sure if it would play nice with my older computer running 6 and syncing with the same vault via iCLoud. But I've installed it now and everything is great. However, since you mention it, I actually have no idea where my vault is or what format it's in? My ios version says "On iCloud PRIMARY" and everything is just working fine. But I don't have any actual 1Password files that I can see in my iCloud Files Folder. Where would I find the vault?

• ag_tommyag_tommy

Team Member

@zeitgoose

Syncing over iCloud uses Cloudkit, a system Apple developed to allow for data safety and stability. It's only available to applications, and it's not directly accessible to the end-user. That's why it doesn't show up inside iCloud drive.

• Great, thanks Tommy. One other quick question. When searching the finder to see if I could find my 1P vault, I came across two different 1 Password folders in the library. One called 1 Password, and another called 1 Password 4, which I’m assuming is just an old leftover folder that’s kept getting migrated onto my newer macs over the years. I would think that I could just delete that folder, but when I looked inside there were files updated just yesterday (possibly when I upgraded from 6 to 7?) I don’t want to cause any issues by accidentally deleting something I need. What do you think?

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@zeitgoose:

~/Library/Application Support/1Password4was indeed the folder used by 1Password up to version 6. 1Password 7's data lives in~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits`, but we do not recommend touching those folders unless necessary. You are free to do that of course, but it would be a good idea to make a backup beforehand just for good measure. Or at least wait a few days to make sure everything went smooth :)

• zeitgoosezeitgoose
    edited December 2020

To clarify, the 1Password 4 folder was still being used over the years I’ve been on v6?

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@zeitgoose:

Correct, it was used from 1Password 4 to 1Password 6.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file