Purchase and upgrade

I have 1password4 at the moment. It's getting really old and I was looking for a way to get the latest version. But all the necessary info is missing so here are a few questions.

I'm only looking at a standalone licenses. Not a subscription. What does this kind of license include? I have several devices so does it include having multiple windows and android devices sharing the same password vault?

What is the upgrade path from version 4 standalone to 7 standalone? How can the password vault be converted?

Because of lack of documentation - how can I get a trial version of the application to make sure it works as expected with the local storage?

1Password Version: 4, 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: win, android
Sync Type: private cloud

Comments

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @StanS

We haven't advertised standalone licenses in 2+ years. At this point I really couldn't recommend purchasing or using one. 1Password membership is the way forward with 1Password. It includes access to the latest versions of 1Password for all of your compatible devices and greatly simplifies the sync experience. You can read more about the benefits of membership here:
    https://support.1password.com/explore/membership/

And you can learn about migrating your data here:
    https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/

If you'd like to further discuss the options please email us at [email protected]. Thanks!

Ben

• StanSStanS
    edited December 2020

@Ben
    Well, I have zero interest in the subscription model or having my most sensitive information in someone else's cloud. I understand why it makes more sense for you as a company but I am not going to take part in it.
    Just so we're clear. When you say you don't recommend buying a license should I take this answer as - it's a bad solution, doesn't work and look for another application? Is this what I'm hearing?

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member
    edited December 2020

@StanS

Well, I have zero interest in the subscription model or having my most sensitive information in someone else's cloud. I understand why it makes more sense for you as a company but I am not going to take part in it.

I understand where you're coming from, but to be clear the security of the data you store in 1Password does not rely on how you choose to sync your data. Regardless of which service is doing the syncing 1Password is encrypting your data using secrets only you know/have before the encrypted data goes over the wire. We'd be happy to discuss these concerns in-depth one-on-one via email at [email protected]. In the meantime we do have some guides available that may help:

Just so we're clear. When you say you don't recommend buying a license should I take this answer as - it's a bad solution, doesn't work and look for another application? Is this what I'm hearing?

As I say licenses aren't something that we're advertising anymore. Technical support for 3rd party sync options is incredibly limited. At this point the only support we offer for 3rd party sync is these guides:

Additionally one point you mentioned that I want to hit on specifically:

I have several devices so does it include having multiple windows and android devices sharing the same password vault?

You mentioned you want to avoid "someone else's cloud," but that's the only way to do this — either with 1Password membership, Dropbox, or iCloud. Those are all "somebody else's cloud." Membership is where we're going, and I'll be sad if you don't continue on that journey with us after having used 1Password for so long. I hope you'll take me up on my offer to email in so we can discuss further.

If you'd like to purchase a license, you can do that. They're available within the 1Password 7 for Windows app for $65 USD + tax. But again it isn't something I'd encourage you to do at this point. I've been working on 1Password and have been a customer myself for over 13 years now. Dropbox and iCloud were great stopgap solutions at a time when we didn't have the infrastructure to do our own thing. But we do now, and I promise it is a much better experience.

Thanks!

Ben

• ok. I think I'm done here. It feels weird to keep asking a vendor to sell me their product.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@StanS:

If you have any specific questions about the purchasing process, outside of what my colleague Ben explained, please do reach out to us at [email protected] and we will be happy to help :+1:

• I am also done with 1Password. I was a customer for YEARS and you guys have managed to chase me away.

• ag_tommyag_tommy

Team Member

@Aguirre

I'm sorry to hear you feel that way. We're here if you should decide to give us another look. If there is something specific that's causing you concern; you may wish to send us an email using [email protected].

• @Ben, you ARE advertising licenses. I'm using 1Password 6 and looking at your Upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac page it says:
    "If you purchased a license before then, you’ll see two options in the app when you upgrade:

- Try a 1Password membership free, which includes 1Password 7.
    - Purchase a license for 1Password 7 for Mac."

And elsewhere is says if you want a standalone license it needs to be purchased from AgileBits rather than the AppStore. But nowhere does it tell me the cost for the license or what benefits a membership provides that a license does not. I'm not a fan of the subscription model either and have been happy upgrading from 1Password 3 to later versions when there was a big enough change to make it worth it. It is also confusing about purchase via the AppStore or from AgileBits and what that means re family sharing and other support. It would be helpful if AgileBits would show a comparison between the two purchase options so we can decide which works better for us.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@erogers3:

It would be helpful if AgileBits would show a comparison between the two purchase options so we can decide which works better for us.

Unless I am mistaken, I think this was considered in the past, but since the decision was then made not to advertise licenses on the website, I don't believe this will appear in the future. Sorry if this is not what you were hoping to hear, but your feedback is really appreciated!

• so where do I get information on a standalone license cost and features and why I should consider a membership instead?

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@erogers3:

For a summary on the benefits of a Membership, you can see this page on our website:

About 1Password membership

It also has specific links to specific features included in a Membership, in case you want to find out more about some of them :+1:

When it comes to license information, I encourage you to reach out to our sales team via email at [email protected] After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• I am still using 1Password7 stand alone version and happy with it. I agree with @StanS and his frustration and indeed many other users. It was hard work to try and buy the standalone licence.

I had the same frustration when I wanted to buy the standalone version. It is very disrespectful to for customers to be treated in the manner when customers ask simple and straight forward questions. Obviously you want to push everyone onto the membership route regardless of what your customers want and you have driven away a lot of customers with the stance taken. Shame really! Competitors...are you watching? This could be an opportunity!

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

I'm sorry we've made you feel that way, @calapso, but membership is the way forward with 1Password.

Ben

• @Ben you lack of knowledge is dumbfounding and the response above is 100% terrible. When you use "but" in a sentence it negates everything you've said before that so your "I'm sorry we've made you feel that way" is insincere, in actuality you couldn't care less and it shows with the rest of your sentence too.

I am a standalone license user and have used this product since the 2.0 days on the Mac, the first time I was exposed to this product was via a MacUpdate sale where it was included in a bundle and since then I've been invested in your app and paid for every application update. I want to know: regardless of advertising or not, is AgileBits no longer going to sell or support standalone licenses going forward?

Is the ONLY solution a subscription now? I am on this forum right now trying to find out if the Linux app will support standalone licences, if so I will buy one, if not, it's bye bye for me once I migrate all my current devices to Linux and I'll find another solution. I have no issue in supporting businesses and I'm happy to pay, just not on a subscription basis for something so sensitive like passwords. I want to retain full control and take full responsibility for managing my passwords, I do not care how many points AgileBits raises about the security - obviously it will, and I choose not to believe it can manage better than myself.

And to address the "lack of knowledge" claim in the beginning, it's not true that you can only use "someone else's cloud". I use rsync over ssh on my NAS and mobile device to keep my 1P data in sync using the local folder option and I have full control of my data and the security involved, it all syncs over the internet just fine using my domain name and port forwarding. Edge case maybe, although still factually incorrect to say that using Dropbox and iCloud are the only options, even if other options are officially unsupported. I've come to love what your company makes and I think you don't fit in, maybe you should sell sofas instead.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@fcar:

I want to know: regardless of advertising or not, is AgileBits no longer going to sell or support standalone licenses going forward?

We never share future plans because, as I was told, it's a great way to be wrong :) At the moment we still support standalone license, and we continue collecting feedback for the future. And for this, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us!

Is the ONLY solution a subscription now?

No, the subscription is not the only solution, as discussed above. Memberships are our recommended way to use 1Password, but we currently still support standalone licenses.

• @ag_ana thank you, that's a much better response. Take note, @Ben

• @ag_ana what about the Linux situation, will the native Linux app support standalone licensing? I know 1PX only works with the subscription which is why it doesn't work form me. I want to get rid of Windows 10 and move to Debian, however I would prefer not to have to migrate all my data so I'd be happy to pay for a Linux license if that was available, then I could use the native app just how I use it on Windows 10 and the Mac.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@fcar:

From what you are writing (and correct me if I am wrong), it seems to me that what really matters to you is local vaults rather than standalone licenses. If that is the case please see this discussion in the Linux Beta section of the forum which I think you will find interesting (there is also a message from one of our founders here which addresses several of your questions).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file