Need to Login Twice - Desktop App and Browser Extension

I just signed up for 1Password about 2 weeks ago, and I'm annoyed and confused why I have to log in twice -- once to the 1Password Windows app, and a second time to the 1Password X browser extension. I use the browser extension a ton and the Windows app infrequently, but it seems so annoying and unnecessary to have to type in my password again in the app when I've already unlocked it all in my browser.

Should I install the 1Password (non-X) browser extension instead? All the advertising stuff says "1Password X" is newer and better, so idk why I'd get the older and apparently worse extension, except that it is apparently requires the desktop app which suggests it is integrated better.

1Password Version: 7.6.785
Extension Version: 1.22.3
OS Version: Windows 10 Update 2004
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:app browser login separate

Comments

• Hey there @nukmicah 👋

As you've noticed, 1Password account users have a choice between two extensions: the traditional 1Password extension (desktop app required) and the newer 1Password X.

First, the super-quick backstory. The 1Password extension came first, and has long brought the functionality of the 1Password for Mac and Windows to every major browser. In November 2017, we introduced 1Password X to bring 1Password to ChromeOS and Linux users, along with some new superpowers for your browser.

With that said, both 1Password X and 1Password for Windows aren't "connected" in the way you might think. 1Password X works right in your browser (meaning it doesn't require 1Password for Windows to even be installed) in order for it to work. This also means that 1Password X and 1Password for Windows function independently of one another, which explains why you need to unlock both separately in order to use them.

Now believe it or not, we actually introduced integration between both 1Password for Windows and the 1Password X Beta (where both the app and extension would talk to eachother, and unlocking one would unlock the other back in February 2019) but in August of this year, we announced that the experiment would be temporarily removed while we redesigned how it worked. You can read more about why we removed the integration here.

Which one should you choose? If you still have a standalone vault, need Touch ID/Windows Hello support in your browser, or are using Safari, you'll want the 1Password extension. Otherwise, 1Password X is a great choice for its magical ✨ new features, super-easy inline filling and saving, and broad browser compatibility, though you'll still need to unlock 1Password for Windows and 1Password X in your browser separately, for now.

• nukmicah
    nukmicah
    Community Member

Thank you for the thorough explanation! I am glad to hear you recognize my confusion and the team is already working to address it.

Thank you too for actually stating why someone might want the 1Password extension. I expected to see something like this on https://1password.com/downloads/windows/#browsers or on https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/1password-extension-deskt/aomjjhallfgjeglblehebfpbcfeobpgk. Since those features aren't applicable for me at this time (and I assume 1Password X will get them eventually as well), I will keep using 1Password X and eagerly await the magical ✨ new features in development!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good @nukmicah :+1: And on behalf of Blake, you are very welcome!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• ekibel
    ekibel
    Community Member

This was a great comment. I also took advantage of it. I have just removed Chrome extension (1Password X), and will keep 1Password for Windows. Thanks both of you. ;-) Cheers.

• I'm glad we were able to help @ekibel

Let us know if you have any other questions! We're here to help! 💙

This discussion has been closed.