Delete 1password license from mac to prevent auto-licensing

Hi,

I have a clean-installed mac.
I install 1password, create a dummy new standalone vault.
Then I click License... and purchase a standalone license.

Great.

Now I need a second standalone license.

So I exit 1password completely.
I uninstall 1password (deleting the App from applications folder and emptying trash).
I "hide" the downloaded license file by zipping it and deleting the license file that was zipped (e.g. on my desktop).

I rm -rf ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits this folder.

Then I reinstall 1password 7 from scratch...it makes me setup the vault again which is expected... but it is magically license and I can't figure out where it is getting the license from. But the fact it is licensed prevents me from purchasing additional standalone licenses.

No 1password account, no signin.

So I guess there is some other application data folder where 1password is storing a copy of the license? Or it is using some digital signature/fingerprint of my computer to retrieve the license from a server?

How do I prevent this from happening so I can purchase additional standalone licenses.

I'm not interested in explaining/arguing why I don't want to subscribe to a 1password account, so please save the sales pitch and just help me to understand what is happening here. i.e. the answer I am looking for is something along the lines of...

a) there is another folder(s) you need to delete: ______

or

b) the license is being pulled from our server based on digital fingerprint of your computer and you would need to clean install, or change your mac address... or contact support and we'll sell you the license manually.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mojave
Sync Type: None

Comments

• dancodanco Senior Member Community Moderator

I can't answer your question as I'm not a staff member, but I have one comment for you.

Are you sure you need a second licence? One licence will work on all your Macs. Of course, there could be other reasons to need another licence.

• Yes I need more licenses.
    It is one standalone license per user and I am buying licenses for multiple different users (not multiple different computers).
    But thanks.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

We haven't advertised standalone licenses in 2+ years, and are no longer recommending them as a solution. As such the support we're able to provide for them is somewhat limited. The best I could offer here would be to reach out to our team at [email protected], including a link to this thread (so you don't have to repeat yourself). You'll get an automated message back from BitBot with a support ID. Please post that ID here and I'll make sure the email gets over to team that would be best positioned to address questions/concerns about licenses.

Ben

• dancodanco Senior Member Community Moderator

Would a family subscription suit you?

• mattprmattpr
    edited January 6

Sorry for not replying sooner, the 1password community forums apparently have broken email notifications so I wasn't aware anyone had replied.

Some of our own apps have had the same problem due to email delivery provider (SendGrid) having a huge number of blacklisted IPs (SendGrid is notorious for bad sender/reputation management on their shared IPs)...users don't receive password reset mails, etc (mail delayed or outright rejected by receiving mailserver). Your forum vendor (Vanilla) might have a similar problem (it looks like they are using PHPmail/SMTP).
    Something you might want to look into as not receiving email notifications on my own post really diminishes the usefulness of having a community forum software.

These subscriptions are gifts for non-family members that I am trying to convince to use a password manager. Telling them I signed them up for a subscription they need to pay every month is kind of a big turn-off. I am not setting them up with 1password cloud services (separate sync mechanism) so there really is no reason for the subscription model. I am also not really interested in taking on a subscription commitment on friend's behalf given they don't need/want any of the cloud sync services and just need the basic vault management app (native 1password) and corresponding browser plugins (as long as they work with the current version).

Perhaps once they have gotten onboard and used to using a password manager (via gifted standalone license) they will eventually switch over to their own subscription when the current version stops working.

We haven't advertised standalone licenses in 2+ years, and are no longer recommending them as a solution. As such the support we're able to provide for them is somewhat limited.

Is the stand-alone app and ability to manage your own vault/syncing going away in the future?
    i.e. in favor of 1password X or something else that is much more heavily dependent on an agilebits cloud service?

The best I could offer here would be to reach out to our team

Done.

You'll get an automated message back from BitBot with a support ID.

[#FFB-12445-572]

• Okay, took another stab at this and got it sorted out myself.

Short version is that 1password adds the license to the Keychain and so you need to remove it there.
    I am not sure if removing all the files on disk was also necessary (might be a license copy there as well). So this might be overkill.
    I had also zipped up the previous XXX-Mac.onepassword7-license-mac file on my desktop to make it less likely that the 1password installer or program would find it...but I don't think that is necessary.

I found there were more directories floating around ~/Library/ so I purged those as well. Of course you would NOT want to do this without a vault/license backup if you have any important data in 1password. In my case since this is a clean install with a dummy stand-alone vault, I wanted to do a complete uninstall for the sake of removing any trace of the license.

Procedure for anyone else with this problem (using terminal)

1) Exit 1password app and helper completely

1. Quit the main app
    2. Quit the helper app (see screenshot)
    3. Verify 1password processes are no longer running (running this in terminal should only show your grep command and no 1password processes ps aux | grep -i password)

2) Remove license from macOS keychain access

• open keychain program (via spotlight or under Applications/Utilities)
    • find the 1password license under Local Items
    • select it, right click and delete/remove it
    • exit keychain program

3) Remove 1password app and onepassword residual files/folders

Warning! Don't do this if you have 1password data in your computer unless you have a backup of your vault(s) and license(s).

Using terminal...

# remove the app from Applications
    sudo rm -rf /Applications/1Password\ 7.app

# remove all onepassword related folders in your ~/Library/ directory
    rm -rfv $HOME/Library/Group\ Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits
    rm -rfv $HOME/Library/Application\ Scripts/com.agilebits.onepassword7
    rm -rfv $HOME/Library/Application\ Scripts/com.agilebits.onepassword7-launcher
    rm -rfv $HOME/Library/Application\ Scripts/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword7-helper
    rm -rfv $HOME/Library/Containers/com.agilebits.onepassword7
    rm -rfv $HOME/Library/Containers/com.agilebits.onepassword7-launcher
    rm -rfv $HOME/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword7-helper

4) Reinstall 1password 7 from the installer .pkg

If you did everything above, you should now be able to reinstall the 1password7 app from the pkg file and find it unlicensed after setup.

• From further testing it looks like you only need to do the following (see previous post for details):

• Quick 1password and helper completely
    • Remove the 1password license from keychain access > Local Items
    • rm -rfv $HOME/Library/Group\ Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits

When you restart 1password you will need to setup your vault again like you just installed (ie you better have a backup).
    You will find 1password is now unlicensed so you can purchase another license.

• Sorry for not replying sooner, the 1password community forums apparently have broken email notifications so I wasn't aware anyone had replied.

Poking around it appears that email notifications defaulted to "off" on my account. So perhaps email delivery is not broken.
    Not sure why email-off is the default unless vanilla forums really believes that users are going to visit the forum so frequently that "popup" notifications are a reasonable mechanism.

• ag_tommyag_tommy

Team Member

@mattpr

Did you receiving a notification for this post?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file