New UI planned for web?

Hi, I'm currently testing the new Linux app UI, it looks really good and polished so far. I'm missing features from macOS such as drag-and-drop but it looks like its progressing nicely.

Now, since this is an Electron app, are there any plans on taking this to replace the current website? I know it has to interface in a different way on the web, but since this new UI looks much more modern, something like that for the web app would be really good I think.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

I'm not aware of any specific plans in that regard @alvarlagerlof, though it would be great to have a consistent UI across not only all of the desktop apps but the web app as well. At the moment there is a fair bit that is only possible through one or the other, so we have a way to go before we could take that on, I think. :)

Ben

• Okay, thanks for the info @Ben Now I do not mean to be rude, but it looks like the website is the app that is the most out of date design-wise, so that's why I was asking. Of course it handles a bunch of account settings and payments so I understand the challenges. Anyways it's really great so see a proper Linux app being made. I use it often even now in beta!

• MikeTMikeT Agile Samurai

Team Member

Hi @alvarlagerlof,

You're not being rude at all, you're providing valuable feedback to us.

The website and the apps are two separate codebases with their own design system, we don't reuse design or code there just yet.

The web app is actually the most complex app we have as you have mentioned but we do aim to unify the design and experience across all platforms, it takes a lot of time and efforts to make it work on all platforms we have right now (and growing over time).

For now, the Linux app, because of how new it is, is what we're using to test and experiment the evolving design of 1Password. Such as the upcoming Collections feature, the more detailed Move Item view, field auto-completion (in menu fields) and if it works out, we'd like to bring it to all apps and website as much as possible.

• Thanks for that assurance and the information. I'm very excited about the future about this product. Rarely do I see so much done I exactly like I would have done it myself or even better. Haven't heard about collections but I will look it up. Sounds great. Anyways thanks for being so helpful and providing useful information about the insides of your infrastructure! @MikeT

• MikeTMikeT Agile Samurai

Team Member

You're welcome!

For Collections, it's not fully documented nor implemented yet but you can see how it works by clicking the account chooser on top left to start creating a Collection near the bottom of the menu.

Note that Collections aren't persistent across locks but it should give you a sense of what it is about as we continue to implement more of it in each update.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file