Using 1Password in Windows

Options

I am doing trial of 1P for Windows 10 and finding it cumbersome. Seems like it was written for Macs and then shoe-horned into Windows. For example, so far it seems like to log in to 1P using a Win desktop that i either have to use the silly Windows Hello utility or enter the super secret password every time. Why not let us enter the same PIN that we use on Android phone? Am I missing this? Also, I imported Keepass database CSV and imported it into 1P, but it didn't retain the categories. After creating a new category by editing one login entry, I tried to drag other entries to that same category, but 1P Win desktop isn't letting me grab and drag with mouse? Am I missing this as well? Any advice on these specific issues, and comments on using 1P on Windows PC in general would be most appreciated. I was using LastPass and wanted to leave it because of security issues, but it was much easier to use on Windows and security is seeming like less of a problem as I blunder around 1P. Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.6.785
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:windows log in

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@eliotb

I'll let the 1Password folks address most of your issues, but will comment on this one:

Also, I imported Keepass database CSV and imported it into 1P, but it didn't retain the categories

I'm assuming you mean Keepass2.

The CSV export from Keepass doesn't contain very much. If you want a better export of your Keepass2 database, export it as XML and use the keepass2 converter on the converter suite .

The category of 1Password items cannot be changed after created, so it's important to have correct categories at import time.

Keepass2 doesn't have "categories", but does allow you to create custom fields. The converter can handle these and other Keepass2 data.

Ask in a separate thread if you need more help with this aspect of your questions, so that we can keep the thread topic easier to follow.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @eliotb! Welcome to the forum!

With regards to your other questions, I see that you are already in contact with my colleague Amy via email, so I will let you continue the conversation over there to avoid duplicating messages in multiple places :+1:

ref: EGC-17614-513

• Thanks Mr. C. That makes sense. Yes I meant keepass2.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @eliotb,

Seems like it was written for Macs

You are right. When 1Password started it started on Macs only. Then it came to PCs. I've never used a Mac, so I don't know how 1Password looks and feels on a Mac.

After creating a new category by editing one login entry, I tried to drag other entries to that same category, but 1P Win desktop isn't letting me grab and drag with mouse? Am I missing this as well? Any advice on these specific issues, and comments on using 1P on Windows PC in general would be most appreciated.

In the past I used many password managers out there and yes, often they look and feel better than 1Password does. But at the end I came back to 1Password three times, and now I'll stay with it. There are many features I missed in other password managers and to be honest I've got used to 1Password. For me actually only Dark Mode is missing in the Windows app, but the devs are aware of it and I hope that in future versions of the Windows app a Dark Mode is implemented.

Maybe this article could help a little to understand the look and feel of 1Password on Windows. It is a good start. :)
    https://support.1password.com/getting-started-windows/

• Dayton_ag
    edited January 2021
    Options

Thanks for sharing your experience, @DenalB! We are constantly working on improving the usability of our apps, and feedback like this is always appreciated.

As @ag_ana noted, @eliotb is currently working with one of our colleagues over email, but I thought I'd drop a quick note about Categories for anyone coming across this thread. :smile:

Since each Category is set up with a custom set of fields, it's not possible to change the category of an entry after it is created - the best option is to create a new entry in the desired category and copy/paste the details from the old entry to the new. As a more flexible option, entries can have tags applied to corral entries into custom groupings, and entries can be drag-and-dropped onto a tag to apply it automatically within the 1Password desktop app on Windows. We have a handy support guide at the link below:

Organize with Favorites and Tags

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for sharing @Dayton_ag! :+1:

• Any time! :smile:

• Thanks DenalB. Good to know I'm not the only Windows user with that experience. I can see positive features of 1P, but the user interface really does feel like it wasn't designed for Windows. I find the user interface in Last Pass to be more Windows friendly, but there is the whole repeated hacking bit with LP. EliotB

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

@eliotb,

I think that there is a lot to come in the future and maybe 1Password 8 is much more Windows-user-friendly. ;)

• :+1: :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.