Remove persistent previous accounts on iOS?

kae604
kae604
Community Member

Hi... so I have two accounts listed on my iPhone. I've read the advice on deleting iCloud keychain but I don't have iCloud keychain turned on on my iPhone (and never have)... so what's going on? Why can't I get rid of the second, now-defunct/frozen account? Where is that info being stored?

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 14.1
Sync Type: 1password.com

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited February 2023

@kae604

As a convenience feature, to make signing into the 1Password apps across multiple Apple devices easier, if you've set up your device with an Apple ID and have iCloud Keychain enabled ( https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204085 ), then when you sign into a 1Password membership inside one of our apps for Mac or iOS, the app will write some of your sign-in details to your encrypted iCloud storage. Then, if you go to sign into an account on a different Apple device that's set up with the same Apple ID and iCloud Keychain, the 1Password app there will find the account details stored in iCloud, and will present it as a list of found accounts to make signing into them easier.

If you have an account being found in the details stored in iCloud, and you no longer want that account to show in the list of found accounts, you can remove the data from iCloud keychain using a Mac set up with that same Apple ID as follows:

1. On the Mac, launch the "Keychain Access" utility that comes with macOS
    2. In the search box in the upper-right corner of the app, search for "com.agilebits.onepassword.b5Credentials" (without the quote marks)
    3. Each search result you see is one account's details that are stored in iCloud Keychain
      You can delete all of those entries if you want to remove all of the account credentials stored in iCloud Keychain (this won't impact the 1Password app or your account); if you only want to remove the one specific set of credentials:
    • Double-click on the entry you want to examine
    • Tick the "Show password" box at the bottom of the Attributes tab, and enter your macOS user password when prompted
    • The contents of the box will show the stored account details - you can click into the box and use the up and down keys on your keyboard to see all of the details
    • When you have identified the entry that relates to the specific membership you no longer want to have recorded in iCloud Keychain, delete that one com.agilebits.onepassword.b5Credentials entry

Edit: Fix malformed link.

• kae604
    kae604
    Community Member

Thanks for the steps... however, I've never had iCloud keychain active on any of my Macs and I've removed the .b5Credentials from both my Macs and my older account is still showing as an account available to sign into on my iPhone, and yes, that's after hard rebooting the iPhone.

It's obviously not the end of the world but I find it a bit disturbing that there doesn't seem to be any way to remove that entry from the phone.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@kae604:

Do you perhaps have more than one Apple ID?

• kae604
    kae604
    Community Member

I do but I don't use iCloud keychain on my other one either and haven't logged into it on my iPhone that is displaying the unremovable old account.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@kae604:

The only thing I can think of is that you temporarily (perhaps accidentally) enabled iCloud Keychain on your phone in the past, so your items were synced once. If you then turned the feature off again on your phone and chose to keep information instead of deleting it, these changes would not sync anymore now since the Mac and the iPhone are not synced automatically anymore (see the "What happens when I turn off iCloud Keychain on a device?" section in the Apple documentation).

This discussion has been closed.