Apple native password manager vs 1Password

rzla
rzla
Community Member

In trying to use the Safari browser, I find the interaction between Apple's own password management tool (iCloud Keychain, I think) and 1Password to be confusing. Apple's own tools have password generation capability as does 1Password, and it's often to hard to tell which suggested login/password for a site is coming from which tool. How do you suggest dealing with this (apart from not using Safari)? I changed the password for my Amazon login, and after changing it and verifying it had changed in my 1Password vault, I still couldn't log in, and also kept getting 1Password dialog boxes asking me if I wanted to update my existing password for Amazon (even though I hadn't changed it again). I finally had to switch over to Firefox to get in. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: 7.7
OS Version: 11.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member

Use one or the other. Trying to have two password managers active at the same time is just asking for a world of hurt.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rzla!

OAW is correct: our recommendation is to let 1Password do its job and turn of the browser password manager to avoid interference:

Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser

• rzla
    rzla
    Community Member

Thanks for the pointer to the instructions for disabling the password managers for the various browsers. Quite helpful, and just the information I was looking for.

• On behalf of Ana, you're welcome.

• aadako
    aadako
    Community Member
    edited February 2021

This is a completely unacceptable recommendation, as I've emailed your support staff. iCloud Keychain and 1Password can happily live together, as they used to before the recent 1Password updates that broke everything. Apple simply does not give enough access to 1Password on iOS and 1Password does not provide a Keychain sync or import option. Those of us who are busy and stressed to the point of breaking simply do not have time for the painful, error-prone process of moving all our passwords from iCloud Keychain to 1Password. Not to mention 1Password has gotten much worse at "catching" passwords from Safari, even those created by 1Password itself. I recently had passwords that 1Password created in Safari go into 1Password into a weird custom field with all asterisks except for the last character. Because the site I was creating a password for, which 1Password destroyed, had a delay in their lost password email system, it cost me an hour of my life I'll never get back. iCloud Keychain is more reliable and more available. So please, until you have a bulletproof system, do not tell me to disable iCloud Keychain autofill. 1Password has to accept reality that with the current state of Apple, there is simply no way to replace iCloud Keychain autofill, even if you squashed all your bugs. Honestly, if I even had time to research alternatives, let alone the time to switch, I would leave 1Password. Your software makes me more angry than any other I own—and I use Adobe Premiere, so that's saying a lot. I used to love you.

• Hey @aadako

I'm sorry about the frustrations you're experiencing with the interactions between iCloud Keychain and 1Password. The reality is we can't recommend trying to maintain two separate password managers, which is why we have the guide Ana linked. Additionally we'd love to offer an import from iCloud Keychain, but that system doesn't offer any export options. As such there is nothing for us to import. One of our community contributors, MrC, has found a workaround for that, and you can effectively import from iCloud Keychain into 1Password using his script:

Moving to 1Password from another password manager — 1Password Support Community

there is simply no way to replace iCloud Keychain autofill, even if you squashed all your bugs

If you prefer iCloud Keychain, that is certainly your prerogative. But again we'd recommend against trying to balance data in two different password managers.

Not to mention 1Password has gotten much worse at "catching" passwords from Safari, even those created by 1Password itself. I recently had passwords that 1Password created in Safari go into 1Password into a weird custom field with all asterisks except for the last character.

These are things our extensions team can likely help with. If you haven't already emailed about them, please consider doing so. Thanks!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.