Undeclared Dependencies in Fedora Toolbox

I have another bug report with the RPM installer, as well as a question.

First, the bug report: I have a laptop that I recently installed Fedora Silverblue on. As a summary, Silverblue uses an immutable root filesystem and applications are installed either through Flatpak (preferred) or through toolbox, a command-line tool to create temporary-ish containers that you can install software in using DNF. GUI apps can be installed in toolbox and will work.

I was able to follow the directions for installing on Fedora, just in a toolbox container, and the package successfully installed. The app itself failed to run, however, due to missing dependencies. These are the packages I had to install, in order of when their "missing shared library" error appeared:

1. nss
  2. atk
  3. at-spi2-atk
  4. libX11-xcb
  5. gdk-pixbuf2
  6. gtk3
  7. libdrm
  8. gdm

After installing gdm, I was able to load the application.

Now the question: why did I need to install GDM, the Gnome Display Manager? Seems like an odd thing for an application to require. As a note, the specific error was that libgdm.so.X was missing, so it's not like it was pulled in by gtk3.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Fedora Silverblue
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Fedora Toolbox

Comments

• BlakeBlake

Team Member

Howdy, @Shadow53 🤠

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I've opened an issue up internally with our development team to look into the declared requirements on the RPM.

• No problem! I think it's something common to custom RPMs, as at least Mullvad has a similar issue. I haven't tried any non-Fedora RPMs beyond that yet.

I am still curious about that dependency on the display manager, though...

• Dayton_agDayton_ag

Team Member

Hey @Shadow53, we're taking a deeper look into this issue - once we have some answers we'll return with an update. :smile::+1:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file