chrome-sandbox permission issue after update to 0.9.11 on Debian 10

Hello. After updating to 0.9.11, 1password would no longer launch using the shortcut in the applications menu. After running /opt/1Password/1password manually, I received this error:

[2168:0203/130347.498777:FATAL:setuid_sandbox_host.cc(158)] The SUID sandbox helper binary was found, but is not configured correctly. Rather than run without sandboxing I'm aborting now. You need to make sure that /opt/1Password/chrome-sandbox is owned by root and has mode 4755. Trace/breakpoint trap

Correcting the permissions on chrome-sandbox from this:
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4.6M Feb 1 11:06 chrome-sandbox
to this:
-rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 4.6M Feb 1 11:06 chrome-sandbox
(as the error describes) fixed the issue. But, I thought it would be worth mentioning/reporting here, in case anyone else runs into it. If it helps with debugging, 1Password was "closed" but running in the background when it was updated.

Comments

• Dayton_agDayton_ag

Team Member

Hey @questionablesyntax, thanks so much for writing in with your findings! We've been able to reproduce this behaviour on our end, and our Development team is looking into it. Thanks again for bringing it to our attention! :smile:

ref: /dev/core/core/#4787

• Just letting you know that this is again happening with 8.0.32 on Archlinux.

• Dayton_agDayton_ag

Team Member

Hi @oxplot, I'm really sorry this issue has cropped back up for you! I'll follow this up with the Development team.

Could you confirm if 1Password was working fine for you before the most-recent update to 8.0.32? Additionally, are you getting the same error as we see in the original post, or a different one?

• Last working version for me was 8.0.28. I jumped from that to 8.0.32.

Yes the error is the same:

$ 1password 
    [3767393:0402/035758.004037:FATAL:setuid_sandbox_host.cc(158)] The SUID sandbox helper binary was found, but is not configured correctly. Rather than run without sandboxing I'm aborting now. You need to make sure that /opt/1Password/chrome-sandbox is owned by root and has mode 4755.
    Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)

$ ls -l /opt/1Password/chrome-sandbox
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4708288 Apr  2 03:57 /opt/1Password/chrome-sandbox

Reading the OP's post, I also tried uninstalling and re-installing the app when it wasn't running in the background, but same result.

• Dayton_agDayton_ag

Team Member

@oxplot

Thanks so much for confirming that! I'll reach out to the team to get this looked at. In the meantime, could you try out changing the permissions on chrome-sandbox, from

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4.6M Feb 1 11:06 chrome-sandbox

to

-rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 4.6M Feb 1 11:06 chrome-sandbox

This worked for the original poster and should work again here until a fix can be pushed. Thanks, I look forward to hearing how it goes! :smile:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file