Installing earlier version without subscription plan

I do not want to buy a subscription plan. Can I uninstall version 7 and install version 6.8.9 and use the Key I have for that earlier version? I am running OS Catalina on my Mac. Thanks for your help in advance.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 10.15.7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

Hi @StamperCat!

You can certainly download version 6.8.9 and continue using the license you purchased :+1: However, if you want to use 1Password 7, a subscription is not mandatory: you can also purchase a license for version 7 if you prefer :)

• I only see a choice of $2.99 or 3.99 per month. I don't find a link for a one time license for version 7.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@StamperCat:

There is no link for this as we are not marketing standalone licenses anymore, but you can purchase a license directly in the app after installing 1Password 7 from our website :+1:

• I have reinstalled v.7, it is still frozen and I have looked everywhere in the app and on Apple's App store to find the link or choice to purchase the stand alone license. Can you tell me exactly where it is located?

• Hi @StamperCat!

It isn't located in the app! When starting 1Password for the first time you have the possibility to buy a standalone license as explained here:
    https://support.1password.com/upgrade-mac/#upgrade-to-1password-7

• dancodanco Senior Member Community Moderator

You say that you have looked in the App Store. That suggests that you downloaded 1PW from the App Store, not from Agilebits' own web site.

You can't buy a licence in the App Store version, you need the directly downloaded version for that.

• DenalBDenalB
    edited February 16

you need the directly downloaded version for that

Why not downloading 1Password 7 from here?
    https://1password.com/downloads/mac/

EDIT: You are right @danco! :+1:

• If I uninstall/delete 1PW 7 so that I can install the app from the web site, will I loose all the passwords that are there? I did download it from the website and installed it over the one I had installed from the App store, but that doesn't seem to bring up an option to buy the license, unless I just don't know where to look. It shows my account is frozen.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@StamperCat:

I have reinstalled v.7, it is still frozen and I have looked everywhere in the app and on Apple's App store to find the link or choice to purchase the stand alone license. Can you tell me exactly where it is located?

For confirmation, have you downloaded the 1Password app from the link I shared with you in my previous post?

• Yes and installed it, but did not delete what WAS installed the first time. My question was should I uninstall what's there first and IF I did that, would I loose all my passwords?

• @ag_ana

Thanks for your information, that local licenses of 1PW are still available. :-)

Would be great, if this information is also available on your website. A friend of mine just asked me, what he should do, since he as many other users would not accept a subscription. He was already searching for an alternative, before I found this post.

So my suggestions is, to clearly keep the option to go for a lokal 1Password license now and in feature. This would avoid an exodus of long time users.

• balveniebalvenie
    edited February 17

@StamperCat

You can create a backup of the existing 1PW database within 1PW. Then I would go to delete 1PW and install 1PW from scratch.
    As a last step you can restore the backuped data.

Hopefully this procedure is helpful for you.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@StamperCat:

Uninstalling the app itself does not remove the data, if you only moving the app from the Applications folder to the Trash. The data folder lives in a separate location :+1:

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

Thank you for the feedback @balvenie :)

You can create a backup of the existing 1PW database within 1PW. Then I would go to delete 1PW and install 1PW from scratch.

A quicker way would also be to just setup sync again, in case it was already enabled :+1:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file