what happens if I am using another person's computer

I would like to sign up for 1 Password but I am concerned about the ability to sign into an account from another person's computer. How would I do that if 1Password is providing the password

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:what happens if I am using another person's computer

Comments

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hey @KathleenKM

Welcome to the 1Password Support Community. That's a great question. :) The short answer here is that we'd recommend against logging into your accounts on a device you don't own. There is really no way to trust that device — you have no way of knowing what software (or malware) is installed there. Ideally you'd be using your own trusted devices that you own and control and would bring with you.

If that is impractical then you can sign into your 1Password account using our web app. To facilitate that you may want to consider carrying a copy of your Emergency Kit with you — either a printed version or a digital copy on a flash drive, etc.

Get to know your Emergency Kit

Whether you use a password manager or not accessing your accounts on an untrusted device exposes you to a high degree of risk. Again if at all possible we'd recommend avoiding doing so. If you have no choice then having a copy of your Emergency Kit handy can make it easier.

We would encourage you to memorize your Master Password, and not write it in, particularly on the copy of your Emergency Kit that you'll be traveling with. We have some tips on choosing a good Master Password that you can memorize here:

How to choose a good Master Password

I hope that helps!

Ben

• Hi @KathleenKM!

If that is impractical then you can sign into your 1Password account using our web app. To facilitate that you may want to consider carrying a copy of your Emergency Kit with you — either a printed version or a digital copy on a flash drive, etc.

That is exactly what I do if I have to use e.g. my sister's laptop. I log into the web app. My account details are in my iOS app, so I'm able to use my secret key from there.

But be careful and enable the setting for public or shared computer!

And if you are done please log out from the web app in the top right corner!

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

Good suggestions :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file