Suggested Password Doesn't Follow Generator Settings

Options
LarryMcJ
LarryMcJ
Community Member

In the Safari extension, I've configured the Password Generator for XX characters (including numbers and symbols). I go to any new site to create a login and when I click in the "New Password" field, 1Password correctly suggests a password...but it's only 17 characters long. Every time, regardless of where I'm trying to create a new password or change one, the suggested password is only 17 characters. It does include letters, caps, numbers and symbols, but it's not the length I specify in the password recipe.

1Password Version: Version 7.7 (70700015)
Extension Version: 7.7
OS Version: macOS 11.2.1
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @LarryMcJ!

I have passed your feedback to the developers, perhaps this is something we can add in a future version :+1:

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#66

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

Just to make sure I understand...you are aware the password generator doesn't create a password with the number of characters selected on the slider? Why even ask the user how many characters is desired. I can't think of any instance I'd want only 17 characters in my password recipe. Is this something that just started happening?

• Ben
    Options

@LarryMcJ

Just to make sure I understand...you are aware the password generator doesn't create a password with the number of characters selected on the slider?

Correct. This is expected in Safari. Currently the password suggestions in the inline menu aren't user customizable. We do look at Apple's password manager resources for hints as to what recipe to use for sites that are included in that repository. If the site is not included there we fall back to a default approach based on what is most likely to be accepted. If you'd prefer something more complex than the suggestion you can instead open up the password generator and create a password there where you have some flexibility. :)

Ben

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Ben. I sort of figured that out when the suggested password didn't match the recipe I had in the generator and ag_ana said she'd put it into the suggestion bucket. Then I did some web research and found it's been talked about a lot and suggested here as well. I'm good with it...I can accept shorter length passwords for routine logins and for more sensitive logins I'll change it manually. Thanks, again.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2021
    Options

You're very welcome. As an addendum — our extension (formerly known as 1Password X) for Chrome and Firefox do have user customizations available for the suggested password in beta:

So... 🤞

Ben

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

This must be for Chrome and Firefox on Windows. I have the latest Chrome extension for macOS (1.23.1) and I don't see this anywhere. I see the exact same behavior as for suggested passwords in Safari. Am I missing it, somehow?

• Ben
    Options

@LarryMcJ

Chrome and Firefox do have user customizations available for the suggested password in beta

It is only in the beta version at the moment: https://1password.com/downloads/mac/#beta-downloads

Ben

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

Got it...thanks!

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben, I know you have better things to do, but I'm still not seeing this. I installed the beta extension for Chrome (1.24.3) on macOS and to me it looks identical. I don't see your example above at all. How do I get to this in the extension?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@LarryMcJ:

Can you post a screenshot of how the password generator looks for you in the 1Password extension?

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    edited March 2021
    Options

@ag_ana – no need to post a screenshot as I found it. I have Chrome installed on my Mac but never use it so I didn't have the new 1P extension installed on it and didn't realize where the password generator was (I hadn't click on the "+" yet). I'm fine now. When Ben told me the beta Chrome extension allowed what I wanted, I thought I'd install it and use Chrome for the few times I added a new Login or updated a Login password. And in fact, that's what I plan to do. But preferring Safari, do you think the password generator in the Safari extension will ever allow a user-configurable password recipe, or will it always suggest a password based on how Ben explained? Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@LarryMcJ:

And in fact, that's what I plan to do. But preferring Safari, do you think the password generator in the Safari extension will ever allow a user-configurable password recipe, or will it always suggest a password based on how Ben explained?

I would imagine it will. We are trying to move towards having a single extension, and since this feature was added to the Chrome extension already, it would make sense for it to be included also in Safari (which as you noticed, currently works a bit differently, although it's already become quite similar to 1Password in Chrome, for example).

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, and I agree with some needed commonality. The last time I used 1P in Chrome it was still the X extension.

I’m only guessing, but it was probably easier to first get all browsers under the same roof with the exception of Safari. And then do Safari last because of all the restrictions Apple places on desktop and extension working together.

Whatever happens, evolution and progress are always good. Thanks again for your help.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I’m only guessing, but it was probably easier to first get all browsers under the same roof with the exception of Safari.

That would be my guess too @LarryMcJ.

Thanks again for your help.

You are welcome!

This discussion has been closed.