1Password creates duplicate account when changing password

Options

When I change passwords on web sites 1Password is not updating the login I initially created but is creating a new login for that site with a different name. I now have 20 duplicate web sites for logins. How do I have 1Passord update the original login and not create the new account when I change a password?

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.7.1.BETA-10 (70701010)
Extension Version: 1.23
OS Version: 10.15.7
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1Password creates duplicate account when changing password

Comments

• Djrogier
    Djrogier
    Community Member
    Options

This creation of duplicate logins prevents me from using the same login on my other iOS devices also. Since 1Password changed the login name it no longer works as a suggestion on the other platforms. As a workaround I have went in to each of my initial logins and copied the password from the new one. If I have to do this on the 70+ accounts I have, and do it every time I change a password this would be terrible.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Djrogier!

I have just tried updating the password for an account, and 1Password prompted me to update the existing Login. Can you please let us know what steps you are following exactly, so we can try to replicate this behavior? Thank you!

• Djrogier
    Djrogier
    Community Member
    Options

I do not get the prompt to "update existing." I go the web site. I navigate to the section to change password. I click on "Current Password" and 1Password provides the password. I next click on the new password filed and 1Password provides a suggestion. I click on the suggestion and 1Password autofills in the new password and confirmed password. I click "confirm" and the web site saves the new password. I just did this for a web site. The original login was called OhioHeath and 1Password gave me that suggestion when I initially log in. When I change the password, 1Password has created a new login called mychart.ohiohealth.com with the new password. The original login is still there with the old password. So now when I go to log in to OhioHealth I get 2 suggestions - my original OhioHealth login and mychart.ohiohealth.com.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the additional information @Djrogier. I see that you are also already in touch with my colleague Nhat via email about the same topic. So we don't duplicate the answers by replying to you in multiple places, I am going let Nhat know you posted here too, and I will close this forum discussion so we keep the conversation going in just one place :+1:

ref: QYI-71786-382

This discussion has been closed.