1Password for Linux, #30

SavanniSavanni

Team Member
edited March 23 in Linux Beta

Hello, Linux-land, and welcome to another Tuesday! I'm in New England, and this last weekend I got to enjoy some glorious spring weather.

One member of the team reminded me of just how far we've come since our first beta release way back in October. So much has changed! Item creation and editing. The password generator. Official support for Arch Linux. A new lock screen. Detecting screensaver activity on Wayland desktops.

We are internally finishing off several different projects and putting a lot of attention on bug fixes. As such, this week's release notes consists almost entirely of improved stability and improved look and feel.

Drag and Drop

We do have one new feature, though, and that is drag and drop!

If you drag an item onto a vault, 1Password will move the item from its current vault into that destination. Since this takes you through the normal workflow for moving an item, 1Password will warn you before you move an item into a shared vault, and it will allow you to undo moves afterwards.

If you drag an item onto a tag on the sidebar, 1Password will add that tag to the item. You can think of this as adding the item to the list of items within that tag.

Finally, If you drag an item onto the Favorites entry on the sidebar, 1Password will add (or remove) the Favorite tag from the item.

Drag and drop currently works only with one item at a time, but we expect to one day add the ability to grab a group of items and drag them together.

Browser Integration

We recently added a connection between the 1Password Extension and the 1Password Desktop, but some of you have had troubles getting it to work. This week we have increased the amount of information that gets logged, both to aid you in fixing the problem, but also to aid us in better understanding the overwhelming variety of Linux configurations.

1Password records logs to $HOME/.config/1Password/logs.

In particular we have added logs to $HOME/.config/1Password/logs/BrowserSupport and to $HOME/.config/1Password/logs/BrowserSupport/KeyringHelper, the two programs that we use to safely connect the 1Password Extension, 1Password Desktop, and the Linux kernel keyring. Please start troubleshooting by looking for errors and warnings in those files.

Note that at this time, browser integration does not work with the Snap, AppImage, or Tar distributions.

Installing and upgrading

Go to the getting started guide for instructions on installing or updating 1Password.

I feel very fortunate to be here watching these features go live, and contributing my own, working on a product that I love on a platform that I have been using since the 1.2 kernel days. Thank you so much for taking this journey with us.

Comments

• 1Password now remembers the last used settings for the password generator.

Yay! :+1::love:

• Dayton_agDayton_ag

Team Member

@johann_koebbe: I know! I'm also thrilled to see this addition. :love::chuffed:

• felixoifelixoi
    edited March 23

!!! I was not using the beta version of the browser extension, it's working as expected now !!

Hm browser integration sync is not working for me sadly but I also cannot find any of these logfiles. The only thing I found in 1Password_rCURRENT.log:

INFO 2021-03-23T00:10:00.578 op_executor:invocation_loop [1P:native-messaging/op-nm-installer/src/nix_utils.rs:51] Created NMH manifest at /home/felix/.config/google-chrome/NativeMessagingHosts/com.1password.1password.json

• Dayton_agDayton_ag

Team Member

@felixoi:

Yes - the beta version of 1Password in your browser is required to enable browser integration. I'm glad you were able to get things up and running! :smile:

• Yes - the beta version of 1Password in your browser is required to enable browser integration

does that mean using these betas? I searched for the word "extension" in the 0.9.30 release notes and it only matched the text of the link in the footer

• mdanielmdaniel
    edited March 24

update: after going into the preferences while looking for how to turn on browser integration, it seems choosing the "idle for Never" option writes -1 into the settings.json, so you'll want to update the json schema file to fix the current verbiage "Set to 0 to never lock when idle."

separately, I see

Improved our lock handling to avoid re-locking when already locked.

but I am still experiencing immediate lock after entering my master password followed by the MFA prompt; just like last time, editing .config/1Password/settings/settings.json to set "security.autolock.minutes" to some non-zero number allowed the UI to unlock

it emits 3 log messages in quick succession, and also sends me the email about a new login, but the UI is of course locked

INFO  2021-03-24T14:09:30.489 tokio-runtime-worker [1P:op-data-layer/src/load.rs:168] loaded 280 items in 8 vaults for account: <redacted>
    INFO  2021-03-24T14:09:30.490 op_executor:invocation_loop [1P:op-app/src/app/backend/unlock.rs:74] Lock state changed: Unlocked
    INFO  2021-03-24T14:09:30.492 op_executor:invocation_loop [1P:op-app/src/app/backend/lock.rs:36] Lock state changed: Locked

• Hey folks, seems like the tar file has hard links, which don't work across filesystem boundaries:

Preparing to unpack .../1password_8.0.30-53266_amd64.deb ...
    Unpacking 1password (8.0.30-53266) ...
    dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/1password_8.0.30-53266_amd64.deb (--unpack):
     error creating hard link './opt/1Password/usr/share/icons/hicolor/64x64/1password.png': Invalid cross-device link
    dpkg-deb: error: paste subprocess was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     /var/cache/apt/archives/1password_8.0.30-53266_amd64.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

• Dayton_agDayton_ag

Team Member
    edited March 26

@mdaniel:

Correct, you'll want to be using the beta of 1Password in your browser, which can be found here:

1Password in your browser Betas:

Apologies, I should've included that link in my original post. :sweat:

Thanks as well for your feedback regarding the lock mechanisms! I'll ensure it's passed along to the team. To confirm, after setting the autolock minutes to a non-zero number, 1Password still continues to lock immediately upon unlock, thus not allowing you to unlock the app at all?

@ClashTheBunny:

Thanks so much for writing in! Our Development team is looking into this and is working on a fix. In the meantime, we suggest sticking with your current version of 1Password - keep an eye on our Releases page for updates. :smile:

• Hi,

First I wanted to say that I am a long time MacOS user. I have really enjoyed 1Password and was delighted to see it on Linux!

I am running: 1password/edge,now 8.0.30-53266 amd64 [installed]
    On: Linux helux 5.4.0-70-generic #78-Ubuntu SMP Fri Mar 19 13:29:52 UTC 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    It filled up my hard disk - all 2 TB with 1TB of log files in the .config/1Password/log folder.
    I deleted the first one March 27th to bring my machine back to functional, but here is the old one:
    -rw------- 1 helaman helaman 4173 Mar 26 16:40 1Password_r00014.log
    -rw------- 1 helaman helaman 561216670706 Mar 28 11:51 1Password_r00015.log
    YEP, that is a 561GB file!

The contents of the file is - repeated a LOT!

ERROR 2021-03-28T11:51:19.830 ThreadId(34) [1P:op-auto-lock/src/linux.rs:413] A Connection Error ocurred: XCBConnectionError
    ERROR 2021-03-28T11:51:19.830 ThreadId(34) [1P:op-auto-lock/src/linux.rs:413] A Connection Error ocurred: XCBConnectionError

Thank you kindly,

Helaman Ferguson

• Dayton_agDayton_ag

Team Member

@helaman:

Wow, that's a big log file! I've reached out to the Development team and they'll be working on tackling both issues. Thanks so much for bringing this to our attention!

• SavanniSavanni

Team Member

Hello, @helaman.

This is a very strange problem. I'm going to look into it today.

Could you tell me, though, what display server, desktop manager, and window manager are you using?

• helamanhelaman
    edited March 29

@Savanni Kubuntu 20.04 LTS

KDE Plasma Version: 5.18.5
    KDE Frameworks Version: 5.68.0
    Qt Version: 5.12.8

• Dayton_agDayton_ag

Team Member

@helaman:

Thanks so much! I'll pass this info along to Savanni. :smile:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list