Browser support behavior

Hey there,

I've found an interesting behavior of the browser integration. When the app is not started on the OS and i click on the extension icon, the app starts up and the extension shows 'Loading...'. Even if the app was started up successfully, the extension seems to think that it failed because i need to type in the password in the extension and not in the app. Normal behavior since i installed the browser extension was that clicking on the icon put the app in the foreground and i needed to type in my password there. Is this wanted behavior or a bug?

The log shows that the application was connected successfully:

INFO 2021-03-29T11:52:23.746 main [1P:native-messaging/op-browser-support/src/main.rs:44] Starting 1Password-BrowserSupport
INFO 2021-03-29T11:52:23.746 main [1P:native-messaging/op-browser-support/src/browser_verification/linux.rs:23] Verifying browser "/opt/google/chrome/chrome"
INFO 2021-03-29T11:52:23.847 main [1P:native-messaging/op-browser-support/src/browser_verification/linux.rs:37] Browser "/opt/google/chrome/chrome" verified successfully
INFO 2021-03-29T11:52:23.847 main [1P:native-messaging/op-browser-support/src/main.rs:78] Connection name: 1Password-BrowserSupport
INFO 2021-03-29T11:52:23.847 main [1P:native-messaging/op-browser-support/src/main.rs:98] No 1Password app running
INFO 2021-03-29T11:52:23.847 main [1P:native-messaging/op-browser-support/src/open_op.rs:11] Opening 1Password desktop client
INFO 2021-03-29T11:52:24.210 main [1P:native-messaging/op-browser-support/src/main.rs:149] 1Password app connected

Thanks,
felixoi

1Password Version: 0.9.30
Extension Version: 1.24.6
OS Version: Manjaro
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Dayton_agDayton_ag

Team Member

Hi @felixoi, thanks so much for writing in! To confirm my understanding, when you click the extension icon in the browser, the desktop app launches and requests your Master Password - is this the behavior you're seeing?

If that's the case, yes this is normal behavior - when browser integration is enabled, the extension establishes a connection with the desktop app and gets it's lock status from there.

If that's not the behavior you're seeing, let me know and we can dig in further. :smile:

• Okay that's the expected behaviour but I have something else. I click on the icon, I see the 1Password app starting up in the system tray, the extensions says 'loading...', I need to wait some seconds and then it wants the password in the extension window NOT in the app. I've the feeling there is a timeout or something and then it falls back to password in the extension.

• Dayton_agDayton_ag

Team Member

@felixoi Yes that's correct, if the extension is unable to establish a connection to the desktop app for one reason or another, it will fall back to it's usual behavior of running independently in the browser.

• @Dayton_ag I got this but as the logs tell you the application was started successfully and it still falls back. This is only the case if the application was started by the click on the extension icon.

• Dayton_agDayton_ag

Team Member

@felixoi:

Ah, okay I'm following now - my apologies! Would you mind grabbing a console log from your browser when this happens next, and attach it in an email to [email protected]? I'd like to take a look and see where the disconnect is. I'll include a link below detailing how to generate a console log from your browser:

Generate a Console Log from your browser

When you write in, you should receive an automated response with a conversation ID that looks like this: [#ABC-12345-678]. Please paste that ID here, and I'll use it to track your email down form my end. Thanks!

• @Dayton_ag Do I need to enable debug mode somewhere? Don't see any console output.

• Dayton_agDayton_ag

Team Member

@felixoi Hmm, that's odd. You shouldn't need to enable anything debugging-wise beyond the steps in the link I shared - could you tell me what browser you're running? Could you also confirm that when running the steps in the link I shared (I'll include it below as well) the extension produces no console log in the browser?

Generate a Console Log from your browser

• @Dayton_ag the only output I get is:

20:50:40.656 mini.js:2 Loaded active tab 17.83499999999094 ms.

• Dayton_agDayton_ag

Team Member

@felixoi What browser are you using?

• @Dayton_ag sorry, forgot to add it to my previous post. I'm using google-chrome (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/google-chrome).

• Dayton_agDayton_ag

Team Member

@felixoi Are you clicking on the background/background.html page of the extension? This should show you the logs from the 1Password extension. Here's how I find it:

1. Launch Chrome.
    2. Click the overflow menu (three dots) -> More Tools -> Extensions
    3. Toggle Developer Mode on according to step 2 of the support guide I shared.
    4. Within the 1Password Beta window on that page, click Inspect views background/background.html to open the DevTools window, where you'll find the logs from the 1Password extension.

That should pop open the page with all of the 1Password extension's logs. Once that's launched and visible, perform the steps found here: https://support.1password.com/cs/extension-console-log/#step-3-save-a-console-log

Once generated, please attach the log in an email to [email protected], and I'll take a peek! :smile:

• felixoifelixoi
    edited March 30

@Dayton_ag God damn, i was not inspecting the correct element.. thanks for your patience.
    I've send the email but didn't receive a automated response with a conversation ID.
    If the email needs some time I'll post the conversation id when it arrives.

• Dayton_agDayton_ag

Team Member
    edited March 30

@felixoi Not a problem! I'll root around on my end and see if I can track down your email, and reach out there to continue our conversation. :smile:

ref: RMQ-93695-462

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file