Password length indicator, tags management, tags panel behavior (v7.8 Mac)

Options
MSimon
MSimon
Community Member
edited April 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

Hello,
I spent a couple of days cleaning out my website logins accumulated and stored in 1Password (v7.8 for the Mac) in the past 10 years. While I was in general very happy with using 1Password, I faced some instances where it was not helpful enough.
As I did not find a Feature request section in the community, here are some of my notes that relate to these instances.
I suggest these as features for future versions of the application.

1. Password length indicator
    Length is a parameter at websites that specify minimum and/or maximum length.
    When creating new password with type 'Memorable Password' in the application, either the application could show a count number for the generated password that would make counting characters easy.
    So when there is a limit of 30 characters, and the 'Memorable Password' generates more, one can easily delete the excess characters from the string.

2. Tags management - batch modification/creation of tags
    This relates to login tagging.
    Several logins can be dragged onto a tag.
    However, tag assignment for one or several selected logins in the list view with right click would be nice and easier than dragging them to the correct tag, especially if a new tag is required that is not yet in the tags list.
    It could also accommodate the removal of tags from several logins at the same time. (when I want to move 5 logins from among 10 to a new tag and leave the other 5 there)

3. Tags list panel springing back
    This list panel (the leftmost panel that shows the selected vault), whenever a login is dragged from the login list panel onto a tag in the leftmost panel, after the action, jumps back to the top, so that 'Logins' line is at the top of the column right under the selected vault name, and the tag - if further down the alphabet - is off-screen.
    It would be nice if the list in the left panel did not spring back to this position but remained where I positioned it.

4. Modal window 'Do you want to save the changes you made?'
    It would be nice if this window would not be fixed to the top and center of the application window but could be moved around because it hides information.
    When cleaning the logins, I found several sites which had more than one logins stored with nearly the same information. If distracted during accumulating info into one login, it is impossible to tell which one is being modified, because the window hides the title/name of the login.

5. In Firefox 87.0 on the Mac, the 1Password functionality (extension helper maybe?) in login fields does not offer to generate the type of password that is set in the 1Password application.
    It would be nice if the 1password password generator in the browser would honor the 1Password application setting, and synchronised it.

1Password Version: 7.8
Extension Version: version 1.24.0 Firefox
OS Version: 10.15.7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @MSimon. I appreciate the feedback!

Length is a parameter at websites that specify minimum and/or maximum length. When creating new password with type 'Memorable Password' in the application, either the application could show a count number for the generated password that would make counting characters easy. So when there is a limit of 30 characters, and the 'Memorable Password' generates more, one can easily delete the excess characters from the string.

If length is the most important characteristic to a password you're generating, I'd suggest using the random password option instead. Memorable passwords are mostly for those passwords you really need to be able to commit to memory (or for easier typing, like for a Netflix password on a TV). If you truncate a memorable password in the way you describe, that's sort of deviating away from that intention, since a word might be cut off in an unnatural way. I will of course still share your suggestion with the development team, but that would be my thought here.

This relates to login tagging. Several logins can be dragged onto a tag. However, tag assignment for one or several selected logins in the list view with right click would be nice and easier than dragging them to the correct tag, especially if a new tag is required that is not yet in the tags list. It could also accommodate the removal of tags from several logins at the same time. (when I want to move 5 logins from among 10 to a new tag and leave the other 5 there)

Got it! I've shared this request with the team. :smile:

This list panel (the leftmost panel that shows the selected vault), whenever a login is dragged from the login list panel onto a tag in the leftmost panel, after the action, jumps back to the top, so that 'Logins' line is at the top of the column right under the selected vault name, and the tag - if further down the alphabet - is off-screen. It would be nice if the list in the left panel did not spring back to this position but remained where I positioned it.

This is good feedback, thank you!

It would be nice if this window would not be fixed to the top and center of the application window but could be moved around because it hides information. When cleaning the logins, I found several sites which had more than one logins stored with nearly the same information. If distracted during accumulating info into one login, it is impossible to tell which one is being modified, because the window hides the title/name of the login.

I'm not sure I follow here. Even if you can't see the item in the item list or the item title, I would think it would be clear if you had just made changes and wanted to either discard or keep them?

In Firefox 87.0 on the Mac, the 1Password functionality (extension helper maybe?) in login fields does not offer to generate the type of password that is set in the 1Password application.

It would be nice if the 1password password generator in the browser would honor the 1Password application setting, and synchronised it.

If the default Smart Password option isn't meeting your needs or you'd otherwise like to change it, you can set a different default by opening the pop-up in your browser, clicking the + button, and choosing Password Generator, and then choosing a different default from there. :smile:

https://support.1password.com/getting-started-browser/#create-a-custom-password

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#132

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#543

ref: dev/core/core#6454

• MSimon
    MSimon
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, ag_michaelc,

thanks for the response!

Length is a parameter at websites that specify minimum and/or maximum length. When creating new password with type 'Memorable Password' in the application, either the application could show a count number for the generated password that would make counting characters easy. So when there is a limit of 30 characters, and the 'Memorable Password' generates more, one can easily delete the excess characters from the string.

If length is the most important characteristic to a password you're generating, I'd suggest using the random password option instead. Memorable passwords are mostly for those passwords you really need to be able to commit to memory (or for easier typing, like for a Netflix password on a TV). If you truncate a memorable password in the way you describe, that's sort of deviating away from that intention, since a word might be cut off in an unnatural way. I will of course still share your suggestion with the development team, but that would be my thought here.

Okay, my example was bad. Then omit a complete word to fall in the range of accepted length would be a solution, not deleting back letter-by-letter.
    I will change the way I do it, thanks!

This relates to login tagging. Several logins can be dragged onto a tag. However, tag assignment for one or several selected logins in the list view with right click would be nice and easier than dragging them to the correct tag, especially if a new tag is required that is not yet in the tags list. It could also accommodate the removal of tags from several logins at the same time. (when I want to move 5 logins from among 10 to a new tag and leave the other 5 there)

Got it! I've shared this request with the team. :smile:

Cool, thanks!

This list panel (the leftmost panel that shows the selected vault), whenever a login is dragged from the login list panel onto a tag in the leftmost panel, after the action, jumps back to the top, so that 'Logins' line is at the top of the column right under the selected vault name, and the tag - if further down the alphabet - is off-screen. It would be nice if the list in the left panel did not spring back to this position but remained where I positioned it.

This is good feedback, thank you!

Great!

It would be nice if this window would not be fixed to the top and center of the application window but could be moved around because it hides information. When cleaning the logins, I found several sites which had more than one logins stored with nearly the same information. If distracted during accumulating info into one login, it is impossible to tell which one is being modified, because the window hides the title/name of the login.

I'm not sure I follow here. Even if you can't see the item in the item list or the item title, I would think it would be clear if you had just made changes and wanted to either discard or keep them?

Distraction was my point in case. I have a short memory, and if I do not save the changes immediately (e.g. I wait for response from the website to change the password) I do not save the logon, because then I may have to start over if I do.
    Also, if my kids come to me and distract :-), I'll have no idea in 5 minutes where I was?
    This might be a case when I need to check my workflow... :-)

In Firefox 87.0 on the Mac, the 1Password functionality (extension helper maybe?) in login fields does not offer to generate the type of password that is set in the 1Password application.

_If the default Smart Password option isn't meeting your needs or you'd otherwise like to change it, you can set a different default by opening the pop-up in your browser, clicking the + button, and choosing Password Generator, and then choosing a different default from there. :smile:

https://support.1password.com/getting-started-browser/#create-a-custom-password_

Thanks, I check this out.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the update and additional feedback here!

On behalf of ag_michaelc, you're most welcome :)

This discussion has been closed.