Whenever I click "open and fill" in the 1password app, my browser opens the 1password download page

I am a linux (ubuntu) user, using firefox with the 1password extension. On my mac I can open and fill websites from the app, on linux that does not work.

1Password Version: current
Extension Version: current
OS Version: ubuntu 20.09
Sync Type: families
Referrer: forum-search:linux open and fill

Comments

• edited April 12

@boxtelp I had the same issue. The latest beta changed how it communicates with the browser plugin. You can read the thread here, but the TL;DR is you need to install the beta version of the browser plugin, too. Find it here.

• Dayton_agDayton_ag

Team Member

Thanks so much for the assist here @johann_koebbe!

@boxtelp If you're still running into issues after installing the beta version of 1Password in your browser, let me know and I'll be happy to help get things up and running. :smile::+1:

• boxtelpboxtelp
    edited April 12

Thanks Johann and Dayton, this works great. I was confused since as a former Mac user I just started with 1pwd on Linux and it did not occur to me that I might be running into a bug

• Dayton_agDayton_ag

Team Member

@boxtelp Not a problem! Since the Linux app is currently in beta there are some features that have not yet been implemented, and some features are being rapidly expanded on/improved. Our Development team is hard at work to make this the best 1Password app yet! :smile: Let me know if I can help with anything else!

• @Dayton_ag I noticed with 8.0.33-26 that while Open does get to the correct web page, the 1Password page is opened first. Is that intended?

• Dayton_agDayton_ag

Team Member

Hi @johann_koebbe, this is currently the expected behavior - 1Password first sets out to help you download the extension - then, as the connection to 1Password in the browser is established, you're redirected to the requested website.

• Thanks @Dayton_ag . I don't mean this as harshly as it will likely sound, but that seems kind of clunky to me. Is it possible to skip the download page if it is not needed?

• Dayton_agDayton_ag

Team Member

@johann_koebbe:

I don't mean this as harshly as it will likely sound

Not at all, we appreciate the feedback! I can definitely appreciate where you're coming from here. I've created an internal issue and passed this along to the Development team, to see if there's something we can do to improve upon the functionality here.

Currently there is no way to avoid the Downloads page appearing briefly, except for disabling the communication between the desktop app and 1Password in your browser. Disabling sharing information between the browser and extension will cause the desktop app to simply open the URL in your browser (and circumvent opening the Downloads page), but will not be able to fill your sign-in credentials automatically, and 1Password in your browser will need to be unlocked separately.

I apologize that I don't have any other suggestions at present, but I've passed this feedback along to capable hands. :smile: Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file