Can't Upgrade to Version 7.8.1

I received a notice today from the Apple App Store for an upgrade to version 7.8.1 of 1Password. When I click the UPGRADE button on App Store, it appears to be downloading the software. But then, just before it finishes, I receive a pop-up box with the message from the App Store application ...

"Unable to download app. 1Password 7 could not be installed. Please try again later."

I thought it might be because 1Password was still running on my MacBook, so I quit the application completely and tried the install again, with the same results. I'm not sure what the problem is. 1Password has been running well on my MacBook for several years now and I haven't experienced an upgrade problem like this before.

I recently changed my email address for 1Password but checked with support first to make sure I was doing this correctly. I have no trouble starting 1Password on my MacBook desktop, iPhone or iPad, and I can log onto the 1Password web site successfully with my new email address.

So, I'm totally at a loss as to why I'm experiencing this and I haven't a clue as to how to debug the issue.

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance ... Jay-Dee Purdie

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.8 (70800001) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Big Sur Version 11.2.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• ag_tommyag_tommy

Team Member
    edited April 20

@JayDeePurdie

Here is a set of instructions that may help.

1. Quit all open web browsers, especially Safari.
    2. Look for our helper in the menu bar near the WiFi indicator and the clock. Right-click (option-click) on the helper and select quit 1Password completely.
    • Feel free to try the update again at this point. If you continue to have trouble proceed with a replacement of the application.
    1. Drag 1Password from the Applications folder to the Trash. Do not use an "app cleaner" or "uninstaller" tool to remove the app or additional files. If prompted, enter the password you use to sign in to your Mac.
    2. Restart the Mac.
    3. Download the latest version of 1Password from the 1Password website.
    • Optionally download 1Password from the Mac App Store.
      • If your troubles continue, I would recommend using the direct download from our site to get you going as quickly as possible.
    1. Quit any open web browsers and then install 1Password.
    2. Open and unlock 1Password before opening your web browser.
  • Hello Tommy ... thanks for the help. I tried as far as point 2 with my MacBook just after starting it up. I'm curious but not the most qualified person and wonder if before I go to step #3 of your proposed solution, that the fact that I had to change the email address for my 1Password account has anything to do with not being able to download the update, and if so, would that also give me the same issue with the installation of a download from the 1Password site or the App Store?

I'm not questioning your advice and I thank you for taking the time to respond. It is just that I absolutely depend on 1Password to run my business and it would be a challenge if I lost access to 1Password.

Do you know if there is anyway that I could test whether or not my recent email address change worked or not?

Thanks in advance for your help and patience ... Jay-Dee

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@JayDeePurdie:

I'm curious but not the most qualified person and wonder if before I go to step #3 of your proposed solution, that the fact that I had to change the email address for my 1Password account has anything to do with not being able to download the update, and if so, would that also give me the same issue with the installation of a download from the 1Password site or the App Store?

Changing the email address would not have anything to do with the update, don't worry ;)

Do you know if there is anyway that I could test whether or not my recent email address change worked or not?

When you login to your 1Password account on 1Password.com, are you able to login with the new email address?

• Hi Ana ... everything works okay when I log onto 1password.com using my new email address.

Guess I'll need to bite the bullet and try re-installing 1Password as per Tommy's advice.

Thanks ... Jay-Dee

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

Let us know how it goes @JayDeePurdie!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file