--toggle only hides when 1Password is active window

It seems the --toggle option only hides the 1Password window when it is the active window. Perhaps this is according to spec, but the description seems to imply otherwise ("...; it’ll hide or show itself every time."), as does the name "toggle".

When using this as a means to quickly hide a (currently not active but still (partially) visible) 1P window, this will fail if it happens to be not the active window, and only results in the full 1P window being brought to foreground instead - which possibly is the opposite of what someone would like to achieve.

• 1password --toggle from terminal makes it the active window, and brings it to foreground
  • Bringing focus back to terminal, and running again 1password --toggle just makes 1P the active window again
  • 1password --toggle; sleep 5; 1password --toggle, and then not moving the mouse to activate another window during the sleep will hide the window after 5 seconds.
  • 1password --toggle; sleep 5; 1password --toggle, but then moving the mouse and activating another window during that 5 second sleep will just result in 1P being made active

Thanks,
Paul

Using Gnome 3.28 (default Gnome version on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS)

1Password Version: 8.0.33-53.BETA
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Dayton_agDayton_ag

Team Member

Hey there @lieverse, thanks for writing in!

Currently --toggle is meant to bring 1Password into focus when it is not the current active window, or to hide the window when it is currently active - I apologise for the confusion. While I can't make any promises for future additions to 1Password, I'd be glad to file a feature request for a flag that will always hide the 1Password window regardless of it's status - maybe something like 1password --hide? Let me know what you think. :smile:

• Thanks for the explanation.

An option to hide 1P even when not active would indeed probably be more useful. Hiding or closing it when it is the active window (closing is what the --toggle option now can do) can already be easily done using regular desktop manager shortcuts. Hiding/closing it when it is not active (but still (partially) visible) would probably have more use.

• Dayton_agDayton_ag

Team Member

@lieverse

Thanks so much! I can definitely understand how a --hide-like flag would be handy. I've created an internal issue and passed it along to the Development team to look into. :smile:

ref: https://gitlab.1password.io/dev/projects/customer-feature-requests/#676

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file