Browser integration: usability improvement suggestion

With the browser integration now working for me, I noticed that unlocking and immediately using (to fill in some credentials) is now 1 more step than before (using Firefox):
Without integration, I used shortcut to open the extension, type my master password (in the extension's window), and then select the item for filling in.
Now with integration, I use the shortcut to open the extension, type my master password (in the application's window which pops up instead of the extension's window), but then I have to again use the shortcut to open the extension window before being able to select the item.

It would be great if after unlocking (triggered by the browser extension) the browser extension window would also show up (with focus), so that apart from typing the master password in a different window it feels the same as without integration.

(Apart from the above, after I got the integration working I initially got bitten by a left over setting in the setting.json file that is no longer visible in the application but apparently still used. I used to have "security.autolock.onWindowClose": true in those settings. As a result, after typing my password in the application's window and hitting enter, the application immediately locked itself again - and thus the browser extension. At first I only got the browser extension to usable (unlocked) state by opening the application, unlocking, and leaving that window open. But then I realised I may have some old setting lingering around.
I can imagine that more early beta testers run into this, so perhaps you should check (or warn) about that setting when someone enables the browser integration.)

1Password Version: 8.0.33-79.BETA
Extension Version: 1.24.2
OS Version: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Dayton_agDayton_ag

Team Member

Hey @lieverse, thanks so much for highlighting this behavior! This is actually due to a browser limitation, where navigating away from the browser closes the active extension window, and trying to work around that can cause some unexpected and undesired results. The Development team plans to keep an eye on this, to see if new ways to minimize the disruption become available, but for now the best option is to re-call the extension to the fore by either clicking the extension icon again or using the keyboard shortcut.

Thanks as well for the feedback on autolock.onWindowClose! I'm glad you were able to get that sorted out - I'll start an internal discussion to see what we can do on that.

Let me know if you have any questions or if I can help out with anything else! :smile:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file