1Password Mini is gone now? [Re-imagined as Quick Access]

Options
DenalB
DenalB
Community Member

I loved 1Password Mini in v7. I used it to drag & drop login credentials to my Windows apps. When clicking the v8 icon in the systray 1Password is opening. So it looks like 1Password Mini is gone... Am I wrong?

If 1Password Mini is gone now how to get credentials into Windows apps now?

1Password Version: 8.1.0-45.BETA
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    edited June 2021
    Options

Hi @DenalB,

Not exactly gone, just not implemented. It is basically a brand new core we've designed with cross-platform in mind at first, so it will take some time for us to figure out how we want to do this and bring it to all platforms at once.

how to get credentials into Windows apps now?

Basically the same as mini, you just open the main window instead, and drag the fields into the app. You can use Control + I or click the item's overflow menu to open it in a new window as well.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

You can use Control + I or click the item's overflow menu to open it in a new window as well.

Great! This helps a lot! :+1:

But... It would be better if the main windows gets minimized when opening an item in a new window. Actually, you have to manually move the new window to the side or minimize the main window to get to the login screen of the Windows app. ;)

• MikeT
    Options

But... It would be better if the main windows gets minimized when opening an item in a new window. Actually, you have to manually move the new window to the side or minimize the main window to get to the login screen of the Windows app. ;)

That's a good point, I've passed it on to our team as that's very useful to know.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

that's very useful to know

I remember KeePass does this when copying username or password. The main window gets minimized so that the login screen from the Windows app is in front to paste the credentials in.

• Blake
    edited June 2021
    Options

It certainly sounds like something we'd be interested in looking further into.

No promises, but definitely something we'd like to brainstorm about! 😊

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Sounds great! :)

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Naxterra !

In 1P 7 it opens Mini by default, and I want to open main app by default

Just hold STRG when clicking the icon and the main app opens. ;)

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Just hold STRG when clicking the icon and the main app opens.

That's the Control key for people outside Germany... :wink:

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

That's the Control key for people outside Germany...

Sorry. ;)

• HinghamHarborMan
    HinghamHarborMan
    Community Member
    Options

I understand that Mini will take time to implement, but could the Ctrl+Alt+\ shortcut be added to open the main 1Password window until Mini has been implemented?

I didn't realize how much I used that shortcut, and now having to change to Shift+Ctrl+\ is hard due to muscle memory.

• Blake
    edited June 2021
    Options

We don't have any plans to change the current default shortcuts right now @Jscully5651, but I'll certainly file an internal feature request for user-customizable keyboard shortcuts! 😊

ref: dev/core/core#3374

• HinghamHarborMan
    HinghamHarborMan
    Community Member
    Options

To be clear, I don't want to change the Shift+Ctrl+\. That functionality and shortcut should stay the same.

I'm asking to make the shortcut Ctrl+Alt+\ also open the main 1Password window until Mini has been implemented.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

For me, the shortcut is not working on a German keyboard. Or maybe I'm blind and don't know which keys I have to press to open 1Password.

But no matter what key I'm pressing together with STRG + UMSCH the main windows is not opening. So it would be great to be able to change the default shortcut. :+1:

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    edited June 2021
    Options

Yes, this isn't possible for keyboards that requires a modifier key to get the key in the first place. On german keyboards, you get the normal \ by pressing ALTGR-ß. So it's not possible to make a hotkey out of \ with additional modifier keys.

See this graphics: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_keyboard_layout#/media/File:KB_Germany.svg

• Leonick
    Leonick
    Community Member
    edited June 2021
    Options

Where did 1Password mini go?

Sometimes you just need to grab a password, clicking the icon in the taskbar, typing to search and then clicking the result (which dismisses mini) is a lot more convenient than opening the full app.

Really hope you plan to bring this back. If clicking the tray icon opened exactly the same UI as the browser extension that would be fantastic.

1Password Version: 8.1.0
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Leonick:

I have merged your question with the ongoing discussion about 1Password mini, please see above for all the details :+1: :)

• wraith
    wraith
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, another vote for Mini here (I realise from the above that it's coming in the future, just adding my voice to it). Most of my daily usage is via the browser extension logging into corporate websites, but the remainder is pasting into remote desktop sessions and the like, and for this 1Password Mini has been awesome. @MikeT 's suggestion above about opening in a new window helps but it's still a much bigger interruption in the flow of your remote desktop usage versus clicking on the system tray and getting a small overlay.

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

If you want my opinion about 1Password mini: I don't use mini. Never. Either I use the browser plugin, or I use the full app. I'm quite happy that with version 8 in this regard, because the full app starts if you click the system tray icon. In V7, it's a small annoyance that you're not able to configure what to open on clicking the system tray - I would change it to opening the full app, if it were possible.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Tertius3 !

In V7, it's a small annoyance that you're not able to configure what to open on clicking the system tray

Just press and hold STRG / CTRL + left-click the icon in the system tray. That's the shortcut which opens 1Password 7. ;)

• @wraith Thanks so much for sharing your use-case! I've made sure this feedback has been passed along. :smile:

@Tertius3 Thanks for sharing! I've shared that feedback internally as well - I agree that it's very nice to be able to click the system tray icon and have the desktop app pop open. :smile:

ref: /dev/projects/customer-feature-requests/#455

• wraith
    wraith
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Dayton_ag ,

It was probably clear from my post above but I use Auto-Type heavily in this use-case. I auto-type the password to the Citrix Receiver window which then types it into the highlighted field inside the remote session. This has worked well in Microsoft RDP and Citrix sessions, and importantly also works even when they've disabled copy/paste which is common in the environments I work in. Unfortunately I've never managed to get it to auto-type into VMware Horizon remote sessions, for some reason Horizon doesn't even show up as a destination.

:+1:

• @wraith Thanks for clarifying that! I've added an additional internal issue specifically for Auto-type. :smile:

ref: /dev/core/core/#3904

• Steinthal
    Steinthal
    Community Member
    Options

We don't have any plans to change the current default shortcuts right now @Jscully5651, but I'll certainly file an internal feature request for user-customizable keyboard shortcuts! 😊

I'd like to have user-customizable keyboard shortcuts back. I use Alt-Cmd-# (German Keyboard) to invoke 1PW mini and would like to use the same for the Quick Access. Additionally, a lot of other apps also use the Space key with some modifiers and I fear to end up with duplicate use of such a shortcut.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Steinthal

The ability to customize keyboard shortcuts is on the roadmap. :+1: :)

Ben

• lspeterman
    lspeterman
    Community Member
    Options

Just wanted to add a voice to the chorus on the mini shortcut. Dragging the field to the window works, but the mini functionality is a much better experience in my opinion. This is a critical feature for us in working with non-browser interfaces.

• adamjb
    adamjb
    Community Member
    Options

Please bring back 1Password Mini and its password generator. It is the main reason I use 1Password over Keeper or LastPass or Bitwarden.

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks,

We don't have plans to bring mini to 1Password 8 as it was in 1Password 7, but we'd absolutely like to see if there are ways that we can make Quick Access a better experience.

Dragging the field to the window works, but the mini functionality is a much better experience in my opinion.

Could you please help me understand what was different about your workflow with 1Password mini than what you're doing with Quick Access?

Please bring back 1Password Mini and its password generator.

We can certainly look at bringing a more accessible password generator into Quick Access. Do you have an example of where this would be helpful that I could share with the team?

Thank you!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.