Set up existing 2FA with 1Password

Options
siplhium
siplhium
Community Member

If I already have 2fa set up with a site, how do I implement 1Password integration? Does it work with any 2fa; e.g., code by text, code by Google Authenticator app, etc. ? I've also seen various mentions of a QR code in the docs. Exactly when is that supposed to appear? All the docs say is scan the code when it appears. That's not much help. And are supposed to be doing this within the browser extension (or whatever it's being called these days) or the main 1Password application?

1Password Version: 7.8.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10 15.7
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @siplhium!

If I already have 2fa set up with a site, how do I implement 1Password integration?

Some websites ask you to disable 2FA before you can add a new device as authenticator, others allow you to add multiple authenticator apps, so this really depends on the website. What site is this exactly? Perhaps we can find some documentation about it.

Does it work with any 2fa; e.g., code by text, code by Google Authenticator app, etc. ?

It works with TOTP 2FA, so those can can be configured with a QR code with an authenticator app:

Use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-factor authentication

2FA via SMS is not supported since it's an insecure method of delivery.

I've also seen various mentions of a QR code in the docs. Exactly when is that supposed to appear?

On the website you are trying to activate 2FA for: you will see an option to configure an authenticator app. At that point you can use 1Password to scan it.

And are supposed to be doing this within the browser extension (or whatever it's being called these days) or the main 1Password application?

Either of those, both the browser extension and the desktop apps support this :)

• siplhium
    siplhium
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, this helps. Just now I was able to set this up on Twitter, which was not set up yet for 2fa via TOTP. For my bank, where TOTP 2fa is already set up (using Authy), I might have to shut it off and redo it because, apparently, 1Password is considered another device?

I suggest that the docs be edit to include what you just told me, because right now they skip this detail : "It works with TOTP 2FA, so those can can be configured with a QR code with an authenticator app....On the website you are trying to activate 2FA for: you will see an option to configure an authenticator app. At that point you can use 1Password to scan it.".

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@siplhium:

For my bank, where TOTP 2fa is already set up (using Authy), I might have to shut it off and redo it because, apparently, 1Password is considered another device?

That's correct :+1:

And thank you for the feedback about the documentation! I think at the moment we rely on 2fa.directory so we don't make the instructions too long (not to mention that it would not be possible to keep up with all the different website methods), but we are always open to suggestions on how to improve our support website :)

• siplhium
    siplhium
    Community Member
    Options

I think it is important to include that you must select the authenticator app option (because the 1Password implementation requires it) and that selecting this option will generate the QR code. If it had said this, I probably wouldn't have needed to post this question. Keep in mind that sites offering 2fr often present the user with multiple options. As of now, both these sites and 1Password assume that the user will somehow know what to do. I didn't, and I am not a novice user.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Understood, thank you again for the feedback @siplhium! :+1:

This discussion has been closed.